lgv training cat c

fergusonforestry

anyone else find it real hard going? id always fancied it but now i've got the oppertunity im no sure i can hack it, only on day two of training but really questioning whether im suitable for it :001_unsure: i get very panicy in town situations and nothing is sinking in feel a bit overwhelmed by just driving the thing let alone doing it properly :blushing:

I was same initially it was intimidating, some instructors I had were stress pots. But 2 were very good. Most people have a casual attitude its only a bit different to other things, reality is quite a bit of adjustment.

You will get the hang of it, I only drive trucks occasionally now. But would prefer to drive a truck over anything else(not a dodgy one tho)

I did mine 16 years ago and only had to go for the C+E

Due to red tape I wouldn't go for it now. Its the easiest way to be fined I think, these days. Also the cpc which has to be done by every commercial LGV driver is a real off putter. 5 days off work. Around £500 in costs. You are looking at the thick end of £1000 at present rates then you need to do it every 5 years, when you reach 45 medicals are up to £150 every 5yrs (i think) after thats what I would be trying to justify. However if you are going to use it regularly give it a bit more practice. Its a good skill to have but not to waste.

found it a little intimidating to start with but after a few days / weeks it just felt like i was driving a big transit van its just the gears you have to get used too,then if you go for your class 1 that will propa screw your head up! love lorry driving but i would not do it all again cos there just too much sh1t comes with the job now,hope i never have to drive one again but its always a good thing to have under your belt.

I had the same problem but it will just click once you get over the initial shock of driving such a large vehicle (perhaps not best wording) if in doubt slow it down. I found the gears the hardest part s they tend to be stiff and clunky, and don't be afraid to talk yourself through what you are doing out loud, i find that helps.

Good luck

I did my HGV 1 years ago (back in the days when you could go straight to HGV 1 from a car licence without doing all the intermediate levels). I did a week's intensive training with the test at the end, and I know exactly what you're feeling.

Day 1 was exhilerating but very hard work concentrating so hard for so long.

By Day 3 I was totally shattered and convinced that I was never, ever going to be up to standard to pass the test. It had got to the point where I was making silly mistakes (forgetting indicators, missing gears etc) simply because I was nearly brain dead from concentrating so hard for so long.

By Day 5 I was beginning to feel that there was a chance, since driving was becoming more instinctive and I was able to relax a little.

Day 6, test day, was the first bright sunny day all week, and got off to a good start. The reversing exercise went well, I relaxed, and the drive also went spot on. In the end I passed with 1 "minor" (the examiner reckoned I missed a mirror check; I reckon he just didn't notice me do it, but I wasn't going to argue). I was on cloud 9 for weeks afterwards.

My advice - go for it. It won't be easy (if it was everyone would do it), but put in the effort and make it happen. You won't regret it.

As a LGV instructor from 2005 to 2008 I can tell you how it usually goes over a 5 day course of 1 to 1 half days or 2 to 1 all day

DAY

1 - instructor talks all the time

2 - instructor talks half the time

3 - it all goes to pot - DSA/LGV stuff gone in but forgot how to drive!!

4 - after a good night kip it all comes together

5 - test passed

Are you also having to pass initial driver cpc so you can drive LGVs commercially?

thanks fowks its been encouraging to know its not just me lol, due to fowk not turning up ive been by myself with instructor for 2 days don't think it helped on monday being in with someone just refreshing for a re sit

Are you also having to pass initial driver cpc so you can drive LGVs commercially?

yes aye done my case study got the practical to look forward to haha