am i to old

brookie

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly what to do. Offer yourself about and work hard. However, working hard isn't all it's about. It takes time, and some never get it, to read a site.

I imagine that if you are working a door you get vibes about people and situations and generally manage to avert trouble, re-direct aggression and dissolve situations before they begin. Assuming you good at your job.

A similar type of skill set needs to be developed in tree work. The hazards are ever present and the operatives state of awareness and ability to adapt to situations using learned/taught skills is vital to the safety and efficiency of the site. This becomes harder as a person tires and this is when mistakes are made, so self awareness is important too. Knowing when to ask for guidance, take a break (and I don't mean slacking off), intervene etc.

Yes, tree work is hard and it's not just hard physically. It is more difficult to learn and ingrain skills as time marches on. Not only because the brain doesn't absorb skills and program muscles in the same way as it did when young. We get out of the habit of learning as it pushes us out of our comfort zone. We are no longer the master of what we do.

Break out and open your mind. Give it a go in your free time and don't be put off if you get knocked back. Expect to be tested. (I don't mean examinations/qualifications)

Never mind the doors, this sounds like a few sites I have worked on!

Very few people start out climbing. The old adage of working your way up is particularly apt here. It helps to get to know what to do on the ground in and around trees that are being pieced down or felled. Often you'll get the chance to try your hand at climbing and you'll find that the fitness you develop doing hard groundwork is just an appetizer for the aerial work.

Some days jobs can be like playing rugby all day long. Every now and then you get a week of it so expect to be really, really tired for a while as you learn.

Oh, and expect to get covered in all manner of dirt, resin, faeces and dust. Rain, wind, snow, hail and sunshine.

Cuts, bruises, strains, sprains, breaks, creaks and groans.

Wouldn't want it any other way.:thumbup:

Sums it up for a newbie. I can tick most of those 'accessories' off the list. Lying in bed aching from Sunday! Worked all day today and feel no different!

I'm about 3 years in. I don't see it getting much easier and I'm 21!

I'm surprised by the response, very positive! I'd have told him he was past it, the moneys **** and your body will hate you. Surely there're too many tree surgeons kicking about as it is, we don't need to start encouraging people to get into it do we?!

It is good fun though, the best tree surgeons I know are all 40+ but they're good because they've been at it 20+ years. The best climbers I know are all much younger, much fitter and victims of far fewer aches.

Hi Mate,

did my Cs's in my 54 year.... please crack on, you will surprise yourself. Believe me when I say it will make you an even more interesting person!

You are the second person on here within the week who at this tender age have concerns, you will only be what you want to be!.... from my point 'young at heart'.

Steve

Glad to Know I'm not the only one..

:thumbup1:

I asked the same question only last week on here.

Im 36 and looking to start a career (again) in it, I did my certs back in 2008 and I did it for around 18+ Months but I had to leave due to the pay (£70-£80 daily) being particular low, especially when you have a family.

But I did love it VERY much, and better to be happy in work then unhappy.

You only get one life buddy, so crack on and make the most of it.

I'm surprised by the response, very positive! I'd have told him he was past it, the moneys **** and your body will hate you. Surely there're too many tree surgeons kicking about as it is, we don't need to start encouraging people to get into it do we?!

That is probably the most negative comment ive read on this forum, dont need to start encouraging people into the industry, WTF, this isnt some closed shop, were you not new to the industry once? I think we should be encouraging people to get into the industry, imo bringing new people in will only up the professionalism of the industry as new people are keen and hungry for knowledge, and up to date knowledge at that. Come on encourage the guy, at least hes had the guts to admit he wants a career change and doesnt want to be looking back in 10-20 years time thinking 'if only'.

Rant over :biggrin: