Keep dogs on leads!

Sam Thompson

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A dog was shot on farm near me short time ago, they took the farmer to court for doing it. Judge laughed it out the court room.

Signs were everywhere saying dog coud be shot if found amount sheep livestock protection act. Can't remember the year but it's legal.

People don't think a farmer would shoot one. I would.

So when Im out running and theres a person and a dog coming towards me, I stop because im not too keen on dogs of any breed or size.

"Excuse me, please take hold of your dog until I'm passed" (very polite I think)

"Oh he's harmless. Never bit anyone."

"THATS NOT WHAT I ASKED YOU TO DO!!"

I told one guy that if he didnt get hold of his snarling yappy dog Id pick him and his dog up and throw them in the river.

Ive nothing against normal dog owners....

So true Chris, we call them Ankle biters over here and the owners either don't care or feel they have the right to amuse them self's by encouraging their dogs to act out:sneaky2:. Most dogs are not bad per say the owners can and generally need to be on a leash.

easy-lift guy

my dog is old, blind, slow and now very timid, i am sick and fed up with the amount of times i have had to pick her up to protect her from other peoples dogs, its not big and its not funny, you try having a word and all they do is laugh, and i carnt do owt as i have to look after and protect my own dog.

I have our Collie cross Katie off the lead 99% of the time. She is under control and the friendliest dog you will ever meet. I do object to the notion that all dogs should be on leads. At 2 years of age, Katie is fit as a flea and covers 3-4 times the distance we do on any given walk. We are regularly asked if she is a working dog and her condition is routinely complimented. This would not be the case if she was on the lead most of the time.

It's all about training of the dog and owner control.

I have our Collie cross Katie off the lead 99% of the time. She is under control and the friendliest dog you will ever meet. I do object to the notion that all dogs should be on leads. At 2 years of age, Katie is fit as a flea and covers 3-4 times the distance we do on any given walk. We are regularly asked if she is a working dog and her condition is routinely complimented. This would not be the case if she was on the lead most of the time.

It's all about training of the dog and owner control.

I used to have a very quite well tempered jack Russell ( they do exist) he loved children and would never have a go at another dog or animal, but one day last year I was in the garden, the dog was laid in the sun in his usual place when out of nowhere he got up and ran for the gate at the side of the garden he jump over the wall and ran 500yards up the drive across a road into a field of sheep! he ripped the windpipe out of one of them before I could catch him! I had had that dog for 9 years and I had never seen such a wild look in his eyes! He had never shown any interest in sheep until that day! I informed my boss (the farmer) and I paid for the damage my dog had caused, I sat with that dog for while after and his temperament had totally changed! I put him down that night as I couldn't risk him attacking the children! I've had to shoot a collie that the owner had been walking it off a lead through cows and calfs that had also never shown aggression towards livestock but had flipped!! I think all animals are unpredictable and for people to say there dog wouldn't hurt a fly is in my opinion the wrong attitude for an animal owner to have how can you be sure your dog won't flip and attack or even kill livestock or even a child!!

That's a sad story Paul. Sorry to hear about that.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't happen with our dog, but she is the daftest, softest, kindest animal you will ever meet. She is terrified of our cat (and is routinely chased by a friend's cat each time we go over - she whimpers and whines and usually won't come out the car) and when meeting a baby the other day, physically backed off a little when the 5 month old reached out to touch her.

I don't take her anywhere near any sheep for the duration of lambing (and she is a numpty who won't jump anything over a foot high, so no danger of her jumping a fence!), avoid all shoot areas during the shooting season. The one thing I won't do though is unnecessarily confine her to the lead. It's not fair on her as all she wants to do is run. I do think that a lot of behavioural issues with dogs are caused by being on leads all the time - they feel they have to be defensively aggressive all the time as they cannot escape.

Jonathan

My dog was never on a lead ever I used to have the same attitude as you! it's not fair on the dog he shouldn't have to spend his life on a lead that was until I witnessed my dog losing it!! if your happy to live with the consequence of your dogs actions then that up to you! Wouldn't you rather enjoy a walk with your dog on a lead knowing its of no danger to livestock than risk it being shot for attacking livestock!!

Ideally people just wouldn't be allowed to take any dogs onto farms in lambing time. I understand that many people's dogs will never do anything - but if your a farmer how do you know?

It's good to know that you respect your environment Big J - dogs should be off a lead I agree, just as long as they stay away from stock I'm happy.