How safe are your feet? Chainsaw boot test

Mick the Tree

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mick - not sure how long you've been in the industy but there's a very good reason why PPE is tested for compliance with the carefully considered standards.

I notice that your own HiFlex trousers, which you are wearing in the video, are no longer in any fit condition for use as PPE.

If you turned up to work for me in that state then I'd send you home - it's that sort of shoddy appearance which helps to give the industry a poor reputation.

Additionally, the boots you tested were well worn and didn't look to have had any treatment during their working life, they were designed to stop a decelerating chain travelling at 20m/s, not the 30+ m/s of a sustained full throttle strike from a chainsaw such as an MS260.

In their defence, the Alico boot resisted penetration for in excess of 2 seconds and most sentient humans would probably have cut the throttle once they noticed that there was a saw trying to remove a part of their anatomy.

I won't go on but I reckon the securing system used in your 'test' wasn't as stable as it could have been.

I hope nobody believes this opinion - PPE is the last line of defence and is no substitute for training and good working practice.

The trousers shown in the video are my spares, which have been replaced,and I only wear when my best pair are out of action - for example when theyre still wet from working in the rain, as was the case here :001_smile:

Agreed, the boots were well worn - very well worn; I wouldnt go cutting up a half decent pair! I am also fully aware that Class 1 protection is only designed to stop chains travelling at up to 20m/s, and that a Stihl 026 can achieve speeds of up to 30m/s

The securing system I used was a very cheap work bench, and was, indeed, not very stable at all.

All in all there was nothing scientific about this test, it was just a way of putting a pair of boots which were not even any good as spares to use, as I was interested to see how they would fare, and thought others might be too.

I am by no means of any opinion in which we should rely on PPE to compensate for carelessness. This is the first time that any item of my PPE (or body) has come into contact with a moving chain, and I consider myself to be a safe and careful worker.

My boots are my third line of defence, preceeded by training and common sense. I don't think I give much credence to the kevlar anyway. For me, boots are about keeping my feet warm comfortable, dry and giving good support so that I'm not trudging around with busted ankles and trench foot. You spend a good percentage of your life on your feet and a further decent percentage in bed so spend wisely on beds and footwear.

My boots are my third line of defence, preceeded by training and common sense. I don't think I give much credence to the kevlar anyway. For me, boots are about keeping my feet warm comfortable, dry and giving good support so that I'm not trudging around with busted ankles and trench foot. You spend a good percentage of your life on your feet and a further decent percentage in bed so spend wisely on beds and footwear.

Spot on :thumbup1::thumbup1: