1 tonne log nets-Any Feedback on using them?

StephF

Looking at these 1 tonne log nets to use for seasoning hardwood in this summer.

(from 'BAG supplies Ltd- see eb site).

Any feed back on them appreciated, how easy to move around, do they break easily etc, how high have you stacked them???

I have them stacked usually 2 high, occasionally 3 but its not that stable. Also awkward to remove from stack 3 high.

Some of mine have done 3 or 4 round trips to customers and are still ok, I will be buying more shortly. I use the Bag Supplies green ones, not so much of an eyesore. Customers like them and now I only have one customer who takes his logs in bulk.

UV light might be an issue over time, perhaps others can advise on that issue.

A

Mine are going 4 years on with occasional losses due to my muppetry. I stack 3 high but on pallets between to aid air flow and stacking with fork lift. Don't pack/ stack too tight as they will end up mouldy and damp if no gaps/air flow. Best thing I did for handling firewood, straight off machine into shed, onto trailer and craned off and emptied on customers drive. Know amount, repeatable and consistent - my regulars now order by the cubic metre, education is a wonderful thing!!

I bought the frame and the nets from bag supplies and tbh, I kinda regret it. I should have just bought their vented bags.

The nets and frame take too long to set up and you have to keep 'sorting' the logs as the net fills because if you leave gaps (particularly at the sides) the net of logs will collapse to one side when you take the frame off.

You also need a pallet for every net.

Yes, I mean the log NETS! I think they are new, and it seemed a good idea for using them to season logs outdoors in. Then move indooors later, for the winter, did not expect a 2nd use from them, I had not planned to deliver the logs in them. Just wondered how easy they were to use, what kit was used etc, You seem to have pretty well answered the question.

The guy who used the sheep netting idea(or deer) that he saw in scandanavia looked good idea, and cant decide which to use. The lambing tunnels used round here looked good, you could put netting around the sides of a tunnel frame, fill up using the conveyor off processor, then cover with a big tarp?

we have used them and still have some to use, we dont like them as much as the bags, as they are a single use seasoning method, they cannot be re-used and so we think them wasteful for their cost, also we have found they deteriorate outside in uv and are not uv stable, we found filling them in may and moving them august the bags fell to bits and were a waste of time as all the logs fel on the floor and had to be rehandled

we will only use as a last resort if all our bags are full.

joy

we have used them and still have some to use, we dont like them as much as the bags, as they are a single use seasoning method, they cannot be re-used and so we think them wasteful for their cost, also we have found they deteriorate outside in uv and are not uv stable, we found filling them in may and moving them august the bags fell to bits and were a waste of time as all the logs fel on the floor and had to be rehandled

we will only use as a last resort if all our bags are full.

joy

That sort of answers my question! dont think we will be buying any. I suppose if you put them indoors they would be better in terms of UV damage. I was going to use them for same reason as you: I thought our logs would season quicker outside. Not all our barns are very well ventelated, and hardwood can get mouldy! Thanks for your good feedback.