Saw benchs for ripping timber?

Charlieh

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we have an old swmill saw and table mounted on low trailer this has about 42 ich blade the bench is wound past the blade and is powered by six cylinder county engine this used to cut all the estate rails posts etc i do not use this now and will be for sale i might stick i on ebay or open to offers first dont know how o put up pictures thouh

Hi,let us know if it goes on ebay it will be interesting to find out what an old rack saw is worth

a rack saws value depends on blade and accuracy and type. our metal bed stenner will cut 30 foot has a 6foot blade and only runs out 1/8" in 28 ft. so i wouldn't sell it for love or money, its not fast but does the job.... and well.

i sold a wooden bed grame perth bench for 500 on ebay but only a 40" plate blade.

I would love to have an old rack bench,I have started building a chainsaw mill I only have an old 266 at the momment and I will post some picks on a new thread when I get time.I hope to plank the logs with it and I have an old Liner sawbench with a Petter engine that

shoud be able to rip them down.....well thats the plan,everybody in the village thinks I'm nuts but as the mill is begining to come together they seem to understand my cunning plan LOL.

I would love to have an old rack bench,I have started building a chainsaw mill I only have an old 266 at the momment and I will post some picks on a new thread when I get time.I hope to plank the logs with it and I have an old Liner sawbench with a Petter engine that

shoud be able to rip them down.....well thats the plan,everybody in the village thinks I'm nuts but as the mill is begining to come together they seem to understand my cunning plan LOL.

At the risk of being nosey, where in west wales are you. I would like to come and have a look, as i might have some wood to put through. :thumbup:

I use my saw for ripping planks that i have cut with my chainsaw mill. The blade i use is a ripping blade filed to a cross cut angle, which means i can use it for both with out altering the tooth profile. The only down side is logs cross cut have a ragged edge.

was going to say exactly the same thing pretty much

we use ripping blades because a ripping blade cross cuts better than a cross cut rips, if that makes sense, so with a ripping blade you get a duel purpose saw

No probs,it's only just been started and still being planed as I go along. It should look like a mill in a few weeks if the welder nextdoor ever sobers up.I'm based near Lampeterand would be only too happy to let you have a play, saying that when you see it you may not want to put your saw near it.

well the hunting in the nettles continues, one has been bent and the blade doesnt turn, siezed bearings and possibly out of true. The second one has had a gearbox off a class forager fitted to run on pto, but upon closer inspection someone has thieved some of the bearings off it and it doesnt look to clever some of the castings are broken. The third one is currently still on belt drive spins and has the guards and a riving knife on it and looks most plausable, but is in an area that has been planted up with a hedge in front so I cant actually get it out currently as its out of front end loader reach (unless i pinch a telehandler for a bit) and the fourth one is too small.

It would be safer to have 1 flat edge on any timber before you rip it through a sawbench, if it twists and jams as you push it through you and the log could land back over the hedge. A rack bench has the tree dogged down thus avoiding the chance of it twisting