Outdoor wood boilers

Mr Ed

Build a giant Kelly kettle that runs lying down. I have seen a 5 foot long one before that is used for a hot water system, it was awesome. I think it was made out of an old compressor tank with 2 holes cut in each and and a large steel pipe welded in the middle with a chimney coming of the back. Add some plumbing and away you go. Its probably not that simple but I bet its cheep.

I'd looked at doing something similar but on a smaller scale using to old calor gas bottles that fitted inside each other - wanted to burn all the offcuts from the showjumps and heat the shed over winter with radiators so paint would dry.

Ed, we had a farm 2000 at the laste estate I worked on (not sure what size if there's different models) - used to tip a 6tonne grain trailer of chunks every couple of weeks over winter for them and it would burn whatever you threw in it - this was all the crap that wouldn't go into the firewood or had wire, nails in it - and they used to heat an outdoor pool with it - well good boiler imo.

• 4 years later...

dragon, farm heat are two who make biomass boilers will take cord rape straw,straw pallets. the small one will run 10 radiators. need a acumalator and header tank. looking at £7k for setup but savings in gas or oil makes up for outlay. BFF have a lot on biomass boilers worth a look under renewables

We have a 25kw eco angus wood gasification boiler in the garage it heats a 1000 litre buffer tank keeps our 4 bed drafty farm house toasty warm on about a barrow of wood a day hot water as well installed it ourselves using a stainless steel ibc for the buffer tank and some celatex to lag it bit of coungring with the mig a heating pump and away you go cost 3k ish for the bits and about 5 days of head scratting to fit i burn all the odds and sods from the panel and fence making and all those crappy bits you get on felling jobs come have a look if you want Tony

I used to work on a place with the biggest farm 2000 boiler with a pair of 3500 litre acumilators :)

we used to fire it on straw if we had it or waste wood in a large basket we made to fit it ! very simple and straight forward but cant help thinking the low tech but simple fashion of the unit was not as efficient as it could be ! it was heating 40 odd rooms both heat and DHW !

My uncle has a Dragon boiler takes 4ft round bale, has all large wood with metal in off me and roots and any other timber I do not want. He the end off old potato boxes and stacks them with wood. He had a lump of oak off me with a fence through it, it was 3ft 6in across it lasted 3 days he had to keep stoking it with smaller bit thou. Need good plumbing thou.

Some of these contraptions are great.

My friend and neighbour has the remains of a 'Farm 2000' in his yard. it must have been there, rusting away, for a decade at least. I was having a cuppa with him and his wife recently and the subject got round to this 2000 and its operating. Mr loved it for the facts mentioned by twistedhicap.....burned anything, including carcasses, in its day:001_rolleyes: It ran for twenty+ years.

Mrs hated it with a vengeance as she was un able to do anything with it when Mr was away. Everything was too big, too heavy and took too much time.

They are now well into their 70's now and have oil CH as it is at the flick of a switch.

Me, I'm spending time and hard earned £'s on insulation now. When I'm too old to operate my machinery I will have a well insulated house which will require minimum heat input and have one room that is extra warm for winter time.

I still haven't decided on which fuel to go for but it will be chip or pellet.....eventually.

There's a lot of boilers out there but the KISS effect will eventually be the decider:thumbup:

codlasher

Some of these contraptions are great.

My friend and neighbour has the remains of a 'Farm 2000' in his yard. it must have been there, rusting away, for a decade at least. I was having a cuppa with him and his wife recently and the subject got round to this 2000 and its operating. Mr loved it for the facts mentioned by twistedhicap.....burned anything, including carcasses, in its day:001_rolleyes: It ran for twenty+ years.

Mrs hated it with a vengeance as she was un able to do anything with it when Mr was away. Everything was too big, too heavy and took too much time.

They are now well into their 70's now and have oil CH as it is at the flick of a switch.

Me, I'm spending time and hard earned £'s on insulation now. When I'm too old to operate my machinery I will have a well insulated house which will require minimum heat input and have one room that is extra warm for winter time.

I still haven't decided on which fuel to go for but it will be chip or pellet.....eventually.

There's a lot of boilers out there but the KISS effect will eventually be the decider:thumbup:

codlasher

well said and very true

If the Renewable Heat Incentive is important to your installation please be aware that DECC / DEFRA have announced their intention to impose severe emissions limits on all RHI boiler installations (before March 2013?). Boilers that currently comply with the Clean Air Act, or that already have Smokeless Zone exemption certificates, will not necessarily comply.

The real problem is that the manufacturers don't yet know what the new standards will be or how they will be measured so take any sales pitch with a big pinch of salt.

So, if you want to get a new RHI compliant boiler.... take your time browsing all the indoor and outdoor wood boiler manufacturers (a good list is here Wood gasifying boilers, Wood fired boilers, Log Boilers, Wood Pellet Boilers and Biomass Boilers: UK Stockists and Installers) and then apply for the RHI BEFORE parting with any cash for the boiler.