Exclusive Privilege: Redwood Pics ?? Opinions Please

mdvaden

Having read Wild Trees and being totally blown away by it. I think that Dr. Sillett is being protective of the Redwood to the point he almost thinks of them as his children. I'm not sure that showing pictures of the trees and naming the trees in the pictures will have a detrimental effect on the trees, but I would want the locations of the trees disclosed. But given the chance I wouldn't say no to climbing one. :001_smile:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could be wrong but, some times these "experts" like to maintain their positions, bit of an elite club, they like to be the ones who dish out their "wisdom" in a way that suits them.

And when someone who is not in "their club" starts to share knowledge or in this case knowledge and photos, they don't like it.

I for one really enjoy you pic's and post's! Please keep it up!

When you see something, feel free to start a thread if a category fits it. This one is about redwoods, photographs and names.

I'd be happy to discuss the issues in the thread, but I'm finding it difficult to give your thread any credibility, we dont even know what Steve Sillet said in his email to you. You could have easily have taken what he said out of context.

Why dont you post Steve Sillet's email so we can all make up our own minds about what he was trying to say.

As you've already said his email is now owned by you, so lets see it.

I'd be happy to discuss the issues in the thread, but I'm finding it difficult to give your thread any credibility, we dont even know what Steve Sillet said in his email to you. You could have easily have taken what he said out of context.

Why dont you post Steve Sillet's email so we can all make up our own minds about what he was trying to say.

As you've already said his email is now owned by you, so lets see it.

Talk about a "U"turn!!

You could have easily have taken what he said out of context....Why dont you post Steve Sillet's email so we can all make up our own minds about what he was trying to say....As you've already said his email is now owned by you, so lets see it.

Seems like a waste of time. Nothing in the email that adds to the context. But I'll tell you what, I'll post a photo instead.

There is this Biker Bar in Orick, California, down the road from the redwood park visitor center. It's called Hawg Wild - used to be called The Lumberjack, although the old sign is still there. See all the dollar bills in the image?

That's just a percentage of them. They stretch all along the cieling over the bar around the corner. It's s game - goes like this ...... You put down a dollar bill, and the owner writes an "X" and "I'm a loser" on it. Then you have a beer guzzling contest with the owner. If you win, he lays down a $100 bill, which he signs as a loser and attaches it to the cieling. If you loose, then you sign the dollar bill and he attaches that to the cieling ...... A hint as to the difficulty. There are no $100 bills on the cieling right now :001_cool:

But I'll add to the game. If you visit the redwoods, stop in there at Hawg Wild. If you can beat the owner at the guzzling game so he has to put $100 USA currency on the ceiling, I'll consider posting the full email text.

Hawg_Wild.jpg.dcb4ba8592b26c685cb644b4f7d29967.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

Just so we don't loose track of how to find Hawg Wild, it's right along Highway 101 like maybe just 1 mile down the road from where Bald Hills Road heads up to Lady Bird Johnson redwood grove.

Here's 2 more photos. You can see the redwoods right across the highway from Hawg Wild. That's the bartender. Really friendly place obviously. The food is fairly spectacular too. The inside decor is actually very well done, with an antique car inside the door too.

Plenty of skulls and death art to go around. It's far from my style. But the patrons were so friendly, I thought that it might be unfair to judge this book by it's cover for a while.

The owner was slightly grumbling about the hidden status of Hyperion. Guess he's one mentioned in a previous Backpacker magazine article that some of you may have read once, when a reporter type dude tried to lead a bushwhacker team to find the tree. They went to this bar while it was still the Lumberjack, asking questions.

Oh - yes ... it's got wireless internet. That was a great find in this town of like 400.

Hawg_Wild.jpg.65a4f3ae29beb95ec19e7a2d3225c887.jpg

Hawg_Wild_2.jpg.6fb69f840126961262fb693d6296df3b.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

Seems like a waste of time. Nothing in the email that adds to the context.

Can't you let us decide that? Steve Sillet's email to you was the main reason for you starting this thread.

Damn sure he wont be sending you any emails again, in fact be very surprised if anyone did after reading this thread.

Im lost. Pointless thread.

The thread might have been of some interest to folks here in the UK seeing as we place a lot of value on ancient/heritage trees and the UK arb industry tries to focus on how we can maintain them in their natural state without restricting public access to them.