Proclimber fast track. Is it worth it?

lifelust

So I was thinking about doing this fast track course but as it is £5300 I feel like putting down a deposit is a bit scary without finding out if it's worth it from either people who've done the course or people in the industry, so here I am.

I really want to become a skilled arborist and I know it will help me get there asap but how much of the £5300 will be for accommodation and theory? And if I were to try and get the same theory lessons and tickets, how much longer would that take, and how much cheaper/more expensive would that be?

I've tried to do my own research but I'm currently backpacking in New Zealand and the internet I use is crap at best.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.proclimber.co.uk/catalogue/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=89_92

Edited by lifelust
Forgot link

Thats a hell of a lot of money, you won't be much better off in terms of employment apart from having a some extra tickets. I have found that some people who have done 38,39,40 are still unable to climb. The tests are easy and you would be better off getting some experience with a firm and having a go before you spend a fortune on training. You will learn more and be much more employable after working for a good firm for 6 months than any 6 week course will give you.

Some people just aren't cut out for climbing, until you have a go and really try and test yourself you won't know wether you are a natural, or someone who will have to work at it, or someone who will never be able to do it.

hey,

im on the fast track at pro climber at the moment! to be fair its been worth every penny to me, excelent instuction from the owner Andy and another guys chris, everything is well organised and the accomadation is top notch! im only 19 so the climbing and fintness havnt been to much of an issue, but the course is intensive and physically hard!

if you need any other info, give andy or caroline a call at pro climber or feel free to PM me

cheers Ryan

Proclimber training is excellent, but I wouldnt blow that amount of money in one go unless you are really sure its the right career for you.

I also wouldnt recommend going straight into rigging without getting some practical experience under your belt first.

We've employed a couple of guys that have been on this course - from an employers point of view, and becuase we are AA approved - having lots of tickets is good but its experience that realy ticks the boxes for most employers.

part of the course is an intro to the ISA cert - no one i know has actually carried this theory side of things through - which is dissapointing.

• 1 year later...
Thats a hell of a lot of money, you won't be much better off in terms of employment apart from having a some extra tickets. I have found that some people who have done 38,39,40 are still unable to climb. The tests are easy and you would be better off getting some experience with a firm and having a go before you spend a fortune on training. You will learn more and be much more employable after working for a good firm for 6 months than any 6 week course will give you.

Some people just aren't cut out for climbing, until you have a go and really try and test yourself you won't know wether you are a natural, or someone who will have to work at it, or someone who will never be able to do it.

Please ask our past trainees about not being any better off! Most find work immediately after the course ends, as an Employer myself, I would much rather employ someone who has been taught correctly but has little experience, than someone who's had years of experience of perhaps getting it wrong. (Believe me there's plenty out there, with & without tickets)!!!!! Check out our feedback on the Proclimber website Fast Track feedback page, & also the proclimber training Facebook page. We have trainees from as far away as New Zealand coming to do this course, that's a long way to come for nothing??? As for working for 6 months before doing for the course, you can pick up a lot of bad habits in that time, then we have to spend time breaking these before teaching the correct way. There is very little you can do without tickets these days, Insurance companies will not cover you. Try telling someone who has left the Forces to wait six months before getting a job, or someone made redundant who wants to get back into another Industry as quickly as possible, who is going to employ them without any qualifications. Experience is earned not bought, this is a perfect way in, just ask anyone who has done the course how it has changed their working lives. As for the tests being easy, try doing this course, it's the most demanding six weeks you have probably ever had! Even our fittest trainees say it is hard, we make this perfectly clear before we take a booking, if you are overweight, smoke or not as fit as you could be, think hard before enrolling, this course is not for pussies!!

Call all the employers you can find in New Zealand.You will get free training as well as a job.You will learn a hell of a lot more about the nuts and bolts of tree work on the job than you will ever learn on a course.No matter how long in duration or prestigious it may sound.