One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

Since last posting on this thread I have been doing my own reasearch into the disposal of the plastic cans. I cannot find anyone who will re-cycle them for nothing. I have been quoted £30 for a small car boot full or car derived van. Or I can dispose of a ton of them for £96 but that is the minimum charge.

I am really not sure about burning them, I somehow think that if I was to do that the Environment Agency would have something to say.

So for me the disposal of or what to do with the cans when empty remain one issue.

Another issue that has come to light is that I am informed that if you use this in a Stihl product it will void the warranty.

Since last posting on this thread I have been doing my own reasearch into the disposal of the plastic cans. I cannot find anyone who will re-cycle them for nothing. I have been quoted £30 for a small car boot full or car derived van. Or I can dispose of a ton of them for £96 but that is the minimum charge.

I am really not sure about burning them, I somehow think that if I was to do that the Environment Agency would have something to say.

So for me the disposal of or what to do with the cans when empty remain one issue.

Another issue that has come to light is that I am informed that if you use this in a Stihl product it will void the warranty.

Andy, I guess the disposal of cans is a problem then as you could be using up to 4 a week if really busy.

I get a whole lot more than that, but they go in my commercial waste, so I,m OK, and as I have mentioned before, my customers are welcome to use this service for free. It may be worth asking your dealer if he can offer the same service.

Your local recycling centre should take them, but not as trade waste, so you would have to go in with your car. Best to take the wraps off first so nobody gets twitchy about the fact that they contained petrol. Leave the caps off too.

With regards to the Stihl warranty issue. This is a myth. Anglo American Oil have an official letter from Stihl which approves the use of Aspen.

I have also spoken to Stihl technical department myself on this issue, and they stated that they had no concerns whatsoever over the use of Aspen.

The fact is that it can do no harm whatsoever to saw or any other equipment as it is so pure. Manufacturers encourage its use because of the accuracy of the oil mix.

I have had one engine seizure on a 2 year old machine in domestic use passed under warranty, purely because that machine had been used solely on Aspen. It would not have been passed had petrol been used.

I've just been talking to a very large company that uses aspen fuel for there saws and heard some very concerning reports!

It's been causing problems with most of there saws unless they are brand new!

And most of there guys have been getting headaches and dizzy from the Aspen fumes! Surely that's not good for you???

They have now stopped using it!!!

We stopped using Aspen for a number of reasons as follows.

One was that one of my workers complained it gave him headaches, only 1 out of 8 at the time but using normal 2 stroke mix no one had any issues.

I also had more minor running issues with the saws and they did not seem to perform as well.

Price is a big issue.

Also the disposal of the cans. I have to question the environmental impact/footprint of manufacturing thousands of cans, their distribution and then their disposal.

• 1 month later...

Now, I seem to recall a little wager in aid of the Children's Trust, Mr Aspen.

I must admit I have been tempted to influence the outcome of this by creating a demand at the outlets I put forward earlier in the thread, but I didn't.

But today is the last day before most of the outlets are closed for Xmas and the end date was close of play of the 24th.

Today I rang each outlet and asked if they stocked the fuel, as I was on a Job and running short. The answers were 3 very clear nos. I think in this case, the only winners are the Children's Trust, to the tune of £20, I lose out because I still can't source the product locally enough to be anywhere near viable, you lose out on potential customers, in a new area, oh and £20.

Merry Christmas to you all at Aspen fuels.

losers :001_smile:

I think its a real shame that none of your local dealers appear to have wanted to take on Aspen, they are without doubt missing out on a profit opportunity.

I am however interested to hear your opinion of Aspen, now that you have been using it for a while (obviously leaving out the supply issue).

Would you be a regular user of it if you had a local supply, and if so, why?

My honest thoughts on Aspen.

Hmmm. Price is an issue, sorry, I can't see beyond that, £17 for 5litres!!!!! The plus side now is I don't grumble about filling the cans at the filling stations any more. It seems cheap now. :001_smile:

Mixing fuel has never been an issue, so I don't buy into that argument.

Fumes? It's only on one or two occasions that I can honestly say fumes have been an issue for me, not enough to spend the extra.

Disposal of cans? I did as suggested and removed labels and lid, flushed it out and put it in recycle bin, it was removed and I got a label on correct recycling. Burning, hardly environmentlly correct, seeing as its supposed to be the green alternative.

Beautiful smelling aroma? Maybe it's only plus. Hardly worth buying cos it "smells nice".

Did I mention it's £17 for 5litres?

Tools ran fine on it, no issues there, but they also ran fine on far cheaper fuels, so hardly worth spending twice as much for the same effect.

Will I buy it again? Actually, having said what I've said above, I will buy some more. It will be for the little used equipment, that needs fuel to be left for long periods, such as 2 stroke genny, big big saws that aren't out every single day, and maybe my "best" hedgetrimmer for dense hedging. So yes, you could say I am sort of converted to it. Sort the pricing, sort the dealerships so it's more accessible, surely the higher volumes sold, then the price should fall?