One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

I think Neil was probably referring to the carbs on the mower engines, which tend to be Walbro.

But I also reckon its just a coincidence that he is seeing more on Kawasaki. I see this on just about every make and model of machine from time to time.

What I don't understand is exactly what conditions are needed to grow this gel. I see (and smell) really old fuel that has gummed and varnished carbs, but not turned to gel, and then I see what seems like reasonable petrol which has formed gel really quickly.

I believe it to be the amount of saturated water within the fuel. Ethanol can, and will, absorb its own weight in water if it can draw enough from a moist source. When the ethanol has fully saturated 'phase separation' takes place and gels form.

The influencing factors are, I believe, temperature, humidity as well as the variances between night and day temperature.

Different combinations of the factors relate to the time factor of separation.

I will be happy to be corrected if someone knows the chemistry in more depth.

• 1 month later...

Since moving to Aspen, the only downside I've found is the old o rings on the filler caps on the Stihl saws and hedgers fail big time. I think I've replaced all the quick fit cap rings now. After the first 2 I thought it was coincidence, but it's not, Don't ask me why though.

If I am honest I have this seen this too, but not on all the saws, and not big time.

Once rubbers are replaced they will not fail again if kept on Aspen

Nice little pick up for you Barry, lets hope he sticks with it!

Me too Steve, as they use a fair bit of fuel!

I think they will stick with it, as it will definitely work for them. They first enquired prices about 6 months ago and have been debating it since, and no doubt comparing prices. But our prices are as good as any, and better than some.

So, even though they are based only about 4 miles from us the pallet will be delivered direct to their yard from Anglo American Oil on our behalf, with no delivery charges.

The same can apply to any UK postcode exc highlands and islands.

Me too Steve, as they use a fair bit of fuel!

I think they will stick with it, as it will definitely work for them. They first enquired prices about 6 months ago and have been debating it since, and no doubt comparing prices. But our prices are as good as any, and better than some.

So, even though they are based only about 4 miles from us the pallet will be delivered direct to their yard from Anglo American Oil on our behalf, with no delivery charges.

The same can apply to any UK postcode exc highlands and islands.

I think if they've ordered a pallet load they have obviously considered everything thoroughly and are going to stick with it. Its not exactly a few cans to sample type order is it!

If I am honest I have this seen this too, but not on all the saws, and not big time.

Once rubbers are replaced they will not fail again if kept on Aspen

Some reassurance to know I'm not alone, by big time I meant it poured out, but as you say, once replaced they don't leak anymore. Thanks Barrie.

• 3 weeks later...

We had a strange day yesterday as virtually every customer through the door was after further supplies of Aspen. The Flamstore was opened so many times I thought the locks may wear out!

Its really great to see the repeat customers coming back and to hear all the extremely positive comments about easy starting, low odour etc. They don't just like it, they love it.

Then, the icing on the cake was from a Pro arb company in Somerset placing an order for two 200litre barrels following the pallet they had 2 years ago. The drums will be with them tomorrow. So thank you to that company (you know who you are!)

The downside of selling Aspen is that I just cannot get on with my workshop work because I spend too much time in the shop:biggrin:

• 2 months later...

It has been a while since I posted on this thread, but poor fuel management continues to account for the vast majority of engine repair work.

Yesterday brought these two interesting examples.

The first images show the half litre of fuel taken from a mower which "suddenly stopped". Not difficult to see why.

P1020269.jpg.2ebf1295d2a994b2c0e693eb3a645f2c.jpg

Note the bacterial growth sitting on top of the water.

P1020268.jpg.4fd34ed5d84e2bdc2c70f66d92b36137.jpg

The next, from a different mower, shows the gel formed by the water content that ethanol has absorbed. Ethanol absorbs it own weight of water then goes through a process known as 'phase separation' which results in this jelly blocking the bottom of the carb and clogging the jets.

P1020272.jpg.da671be95a8d52e6f149bf85e0aa6a89.jpg