One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

Those in the know (Barrie etc.), how much difference is there between aspen 2T and Stihl motomix? Reason i ask is i bought some to Motomix from the local ag supplier to try over the holiday and so far everything loves it, all running a lot smoother and starting better even my nightmare cheapo leaf vac, plus i didn't stink after running it (stupid exhaust position toward the operator!!). If Aspen is basically the same Im definitely a convert, its just a shame no one stocks it within 20miles of where I live and delivery of small qtys of flammables seems rather pricey.

Cheers, Tom.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Hi Tom

Its a difficult question to answer exactly as I have not yet ben able to get a data sheet on the new Motomix. The ones I have found are for an earlier product.

But from the few facts I have found it does seem that the Aspen is a better product with a longer shelf life. The price is very similar so no great issue there.

Any Alkylate is better than no Alkylate at all though, so I wont knock the Motomix, if it is actually an alkylate fuel, which is unclear.

Its a shame you cant pick Aspen up locally though, but if you want us to deliver we can, but as you say, the cost of delivery is a bit of a killer.

Edited by GardenKit

I just remembered I had answered Toms type of question before, and this was my response then. Its a little more detailed than my previous post.

I have been trying to identify differences between Aspen and Motomix, which is a little difficult as Stihl are putting out very little information.

I have found no mention of Motomix being an Alkylate fuel, merely that it is made from premium 92 octane fuel with no ethanol.

This is to some extent backed up by the higher vapour pressure and lower flashpoint of Motomix, properties more in line with pump fuel than Alkylate (Aspen)

And, Motomix has an advertised shelf life of 2 years once opened, compared with the 3-5 years (temperature dependant) of Aspen.

The current Motomix safety data sheet shows the benzene levels at less than 0.5% compared with less than 0.1% for Aspen. (2% for pump fuel)

So far it does look like Aspen is the superior product.

If anyone can find out more info on the Motomix I will be keen to see it. Just remember that the pre 2014 Motomix is different to the current one.

Hi

I have used Aspen or Husky Power2 (which I understand is Aspen re-branded but its slightly cheaper here) in my saws for some time now.

Im always surprised by how clean the plug looks when ever I check it & it certainly avoids the unpleasant effects associated with inhaling 2 stroke mix in use - particually as Im slightly asthmatic.

Therefore I have decided to use the 4 stroke Aspen in my cultivator as it is relatively new & will help keep it in good running order for the future.

N

Hi

I have used Aspen or Husky Power2 (which I understand is Aspen re-branded but its slightly cheaper here) in my saws for some time now.

Im always surprised by how clean the plug looks when ever I check it & it certainly avoids the unpleasant effects associated with inhaling 2 stroke mix in use - particually as Im slightly asthmatic.

Therefore I have decided to use the 4 stroke Aspen in my cultivator as it is relatively new & will help keep it in good running order for the future.

N

Hi NOEL HOWS you mate yes I've used ASPEN this summer much better then petrol Aspen like tunes makes you breathe more easily 👍👍👍👍thanks Jon

Hi NOEL HOWS you mate yes I've used ASPEN this summer much better then petrol Aspen like tunes makes you breathe more easily 👍👍👍👍thanks Jon

Hi Jon, yes good thanks it does help keep the old lungs clean & clear!

Wishing you a good New Year

N

I just remembered I had answered Toms type of question before, and this was my response then. Its a little more detailed than my previous post.

I have been trying to identify differences between Aspen and Motomix, which is a little difficult as Stihl are putting out very little information.

I have found no mention of Motomix being an Alkylate fuel, merely that it is made from premium 92 octane fuel with no ethanol.

This is to some extent backed up by the higher vapour pressure and lower flashpoint of Motomix, properties more in line with pump fuel than Alkylate (Aspen)

And, Motomix has an advertised shelf life of 2 years once opened, compared with the 3-5 years (temperature dependant) of Aspen.

The current Motomix safety data sheet shows the benzene levels at less than 0.5% compared with less than 0.1% for Aspen. (2% for pump fuel)

So far it does look like Aspen is the superior product.

If anyone can find out more info on the Motomix I will be keen to see it. Just remember that the pre 2014 Motomix is different to the current one.

Interesting post Barrie, very informative. I was wondering if the quoted shelf life of 2 years for the motomix was the result of it being alkylate or a product of some other added inhibitors in the mix.

I think ive found a perfect use for some 4t Aspen, my little used generator which stands idle 364days a year but is a god send if we get bad weather or snow, I reckon a gallon or two of aspen in the tank will prob save the usual nightmare I have starting it even after being drained down. What do you reckon?

Interesting post Barrie, very informative. I was wondering if the quoted shelf life of 2 years for the motomix was the result of it being alkylate or a product of some other added inhibitors in the mix.

I think ive found a perfect use for some 4t Aspen, my little used generator which stands idle 364days a year but is a god send if we get bad weather or snow, I reckon a gallon or two of aspen in the tank will prob save the usual nightmare I have starting it even after being drained down. What do you reckon?

Aspen 4 is absolutely the right thing to be using in your generator tomlt.

If there is any chance that the fuel already in the tank could be stale then drain it down first. Partly fill with brand new, fresh, petrol and run this through for half an hour or so. The solvents in the petrol may wash out some of the gums that could have formed in the fuel system. Then drain down any remaining petrol and run the engine dry.

Refill with Aspen 4 and run for 10 minutes then put the machine away and forget it for years to come if not needed. It will be fine whenever you need to start it.