To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

Yes, please do.

What was shown is a field test that proves what you already know.

Temporary housing will not recreate a balanced system.

Dave

I do D mc, honestly i do.

What i mean to say is that the enlightened souls should, rather than argue amoungst themselves about the finite details of method, focus there efforts and critiscism toward practices that are at the other extreme.

What to the uninitiated does it reflect when we disrespect "any" efforts to do the right thing, lets channel our views towards those things that really need judgment rather than picking holes in the "good work" of others.

Me thinks the aesthetics reek of the smell of a rotting fish corpse in terms of the setting for the coro'd stump :001_tt2:

But intrigued the client asked for it.

Maybe a flush cut & topped with a bird table may have served the situation better?

It's not as if the Birch needs the coros to help break it down for the crawlers that creep.

Interesting post all the same. :001_smile:

Me thinks the aesthetics reek of the smell of a rotting fish corpse in terms of the setting for the coro'd stump :001_tt2:

But intrigued the client asked for it.

Maybe a flush cut & topped with a bird table may have served the situation better?

It's not as if the Birch needs the coros to help break it down for the crawlers that creep.

Interesting post all the same. :001_smile:

Me thinks the aesthetics reek of the smell of a rotting fish corpse in terms of the setting for the coro'd stump you lost me a bit here?

Agreed i would of much rather removed it. There is a bird table in next doors garden and a heep of bird box's in the area. But if the client wants me to do it because they love wildlife im not going to lose any sleep over it. All i can do is make it look as best i can, on the plus side the rate of decay in birch it will break down soon enough. But if it serves a purpose for insects and birds then im happy regardless of location.

Me thinks the aesthetics reek of the smell of a rotting fish corpse in terms of the setting for the coro'd stump you lost me a bit here?

Agreed i would of much rather removed it. There is a bird table in next doors garden and a heep of bird box's in the area. But if the client wants me to do it because they love wildlife im not going to lose any sleep over it. All i can do is make it look as best i can, on the plus side the rate of decay in birch it will break down soon enough. But if it serves a purpose for insects and birds then im happy regardless of location.

I know what Monkeyd is saying here, but personaly i am glad to hear that people are "receptive" to "inclusionality" in any place, this is a step towards Joe public going "inclusional" and accepting ones place in the "natural nieghbourhoods"

Our gardens, large small or tiny have a massive potential for contributing to ecology and bio diversity, wether it seems to befit or not....

can i say, it is actualy not the coronet stump that is the rotting corpse out of place, but all that surrounds it that is out of context. Take a view from ten thousand feet of this location and youll undertsand my meaning.

I know what Monkeyd is saying here, but personaly i am glad to hear that people are "receptive" to "inclusionality" in any place, this is a step towards Joe public going "inclusional" and accepting ones place in the "natural nieghbourhoods"

Our gardens, large small or tiny have a massive potential for contributing to ecology and bio diversity, wether it seems to befit or not....

can i say, it is actualy not the coronet stump that is the rotting corpse out of place, but all that surrounds it that is out of context. Take a view from ten thousand feet of this location and youll undertsand my meaning.

Ah, well then this may look like a city view but, its in the Norfolk broads national park 20m away and you'll be in marshes, alder and birch groves an extremely bio diverse area to live in.:lol:

Ah, well then this may look like a city view but, its in the Norfolk broads national park 20m away and you'll be in marshes, alder and birch groves an extremely bio diverse area to live in.:lol:

You may scoff at my "new age" thinking, but as long as the mentality is that life can live "out there" while we live "in here" there will continue to be boundaries and a hard line, a seperation and "exclusional" way of thinking.

It is the homes and fences that are out of context, not the stump.

and isnt it intersting how we brits have fences? no such practice in sweden!:thumbup:

You may scoff at my "new age" thinking, but as long as the mentality is that life can live "out there" while we live "in here" there will continue to be boundaries and a hard line, a seperation and "exclusional" way of thinking.

It is the homes and fences that are out of context, not the stump.

and isnt it intersting how we brits have fences? no such practice in sweden!:thumbup:

Ah i get it now, my caffine reduced day is showing:blushing: My opinion is that we as a country are too sterile in managing our trees still, how many clients ask for coronet cuts in trees? 98% most of mine have been done in large woodlands over the years. Its a shame, although im not sure how much wildlife has benifited from coronet cuts themselves? I can see the value of dead trees but IMO live trees just put out lots of foliage, oaks seem to bug me a bit. I've re-inspected some coronet cuts we did in mousehold heath on a healthy oak the cuts look pretty enough but not signs of wildlife habitation. I guess im all for coronet cuts on dead trees but not live trees.

Norfolk! Plenty of people you mite want to stop climbing over your fence I guess. Should have sharpened the ends up a little imo:evil:

Thought that counts. Defo right about the swaying of people into eco stumps though. Nice thought & work:thumbup1:

• 3 weeks later...

This week had a Quercus sp in slow decline to reduce due to proximity of targets ie road.

Client being local wildlife trust in came the coronets and a couple of fractures and retention of stag heading to help it fit in and help with biodiversity.

Pics are a bit dark though.

Customer was happy reduced risk and ticked boxes with a bonus of reworking the tree in the future.

DSCF4018.jpg.86c96b5679946ff19a59e598016d6720.jpg

DSCF4011.jpg.f5eb46ffb4d3e4855ee1d6e6b9a2d876.jpg