To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

well to be honest the wholle yank thing is just a wind up, on a serious note there is now considerable evidence that the native americans were indeed VERY capable foresters.

In a talk i heard Dr lee klinger mention something about shells as fertiliser 300 miles inland on a archeo dig amoungst other stuff.

In a talk i heard Dr lee klinger mention something about shells as fertiliser 300 miles inland on a archeo dig amoungst other stuff.

Klinger is a dude, really enjoyed his presentation, and found the whole moss climax theory very interesting.

Spoke to him about whether any snags were being left in the clear fell for Habitat.

the thing i like about Dr klinger is his "inbuilt" eye of ecological, geological time, he has that rare gift of seeing beyond the scope of mortal man, he sees the proscesses through time as though he was an imortal. i think that requires a sense of the total irelavance and superfluos nature of the human organism!

Hamadryad, I agree whole heartedly with your post regarding the importance of sharing ideas with clients...this is an excellent thread with very thought provoking ideas being put out there and discussed.

To qoute Neville Fay in a recent(ish) email....

"A key conservation arboriculture objective is therefore that there should be ‘no avoidable loss of veteran and ancient trees’. Given that mature trees are the veteran and ancients of tomorrow, this objective extends to the management of the younger, mature cohort (important also for its contribution to ecosystem services, including urban climate control).......When is intervention appropriate? This would depend on the objectives of the client, also hopefully informed by the CA professionals’ expertise and advice. Intervention needs to consider time and priority, (if it is necessary at all, if so, how soon and how long can it reasonably be put off?), whether any intervention with the above ground tree / parts can be avoided (can intervention relating to health or stress remediation be confined to the root-soil system, mitigating rhyzosphere condition, again when and how long and how little)."

Really love your signature line from Alan Rayner..great stuff

Klinger is a dude, really enjoyed his presentation, and found the whole moss climax theory very interesting.

Spoke to him about whether any snags were being left in the clear fell for Habitat.

That prosces of "succsesion" he talks of is something we need to look at as part of our overall forestry/woodland managment plans.

it is natures way, to go on and change through time scales few people can comprehend, that insightfull depth, that field of view is "inbuilt" and the very essence of that concept i try to get across, that some things are just hard wired in us, we understood it better when we was nomads i think.

cos when it comes to all things arb Britain rules, simples, No? check the history!:001_tt2:

Yes we are impatient, because there is a MASSIVE void in the micro/niche habitat of the most diverse group of organisms in the woodland environment.

We made this happen, and its OUR responsibility to rectify the damage.

I fear for your trees. Do you believe you are the first with enthusiasm and heart who believes that they have finally found what is necessary to fix things? With the knowledge you possess at the moment, you would gladly press your cause with physical action. Where does this assurety come from?

You admire the woodsmen of old with their understanding of the world around them. Yet people then are as people now. To survive requires being clever. I could survive in the wilderness from the age of 10. I was clever.

However, with the help of time, I was able to understand you cannot rush time and you cannot teach wisdom.

Dave

I fear for your trees. Do you believe you are the first with enthusiasm and heart who believes that they have finally found what is necessary to fix things? With the knowledge you possess at the moment, you would gladly press your cause with physical action. Where does this assurety come from?

You admire the woodsmen of old with their understanding of the world around them. Yet people then are as people now. To survive requires being clever. I could survive in the wilderness from the age of 10. I was clever.

However, with the help of time, I was able to understand you cannot rush time and you cannot teach wisdom.

Dave

and the point your making is?