Ebay schmebay

James_skingley

• 2 months later...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago I bought a stihl blower for £6 (delivered!!) as a poor runner, needed a new pot and piston which was ~£45 and it taught me how to strip and rebuild the stihl engines. It is still on the shelf as a spare and worked for 3 years as my only blower.

I also bought a late MS440 for about £280 with new bar and 2 new chains. Ran a dream, absolutely no issues. I sold it on for about the same as I paid for it after a couple of years when I started to replace all my saws for new gear.

Have 'bought 'n' sold' a few as a small earner. I'm no expert - basic skills only - so I take the view of a secondhand car dealer: be disciplined with the purchase price, spend a little on it (service, good used replacement bar e.g.), clean it and put it back on the site with lots of photos and detailed listing. It made me a few quid and I never bought a dog - even a Husky 60 was a decent runner and made me £30!

Best prize was my current 262XP; saw a 'bidder' privately offer £100 and butted in with my own e-mail 'nah - it's worth more than that: £150 in your account in the next half hour'. It's a great saw and with a 15" bar goes some.

Never had a really bad ebay experience, just niggles. Be picky, be disciplined and research sellers' previous sales.