Blocking down a stem

Mr Ed

Reg, when I started this thread, I was hoping you would bring in the block driver. I think it is one of those pieces of kit that would get only occasional use - but when it was used, it would be invaluable. My hope was to get as many views as possible, because I've worked with climbers who will rope off every single chunk - even when its unnecessary.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

reg, did you ever spend any more time on paolos "extreme rigging"?

Yes I did Steve, it does work. However, the dynamic loads are frightening to watch, heart in your mouth stuff in a critical situation.

I did manage to staighten a few of the un-welded lags out on impact, but suprisingly, non actually pulled out of the wood.

Thankfully we did no damage.

I'll capture/post some footage when I get it.

thankfully we dont block down many large stems mainly due to a hiab and bad backs so we lower big lumps with grcs or supprising how high hiab will reach to snap lumps off had a bit of justifying to buy grcs but will maybe look at a block driver for the next big grave job but if you get a big block off youve still to cut it up so why not do it up the tree :bongsmi::bongsmi::bongsmi::bongsmi:

I'd like to buy a GRCS soon for lifting sections of stem off and lowering them. Very good for multi-stem trees.

I love my GRCS. Just can't beat the options it gives you. Which is really what the games all about isn't it? Choosing the best options and getting it all done safely and efficiently.

I'll bomb down chunks with the best of them, but where poss. we'll stick the GRCS on a nearby tree (or building pillar!) and use it to pull off nice big lumps cut with snipe cuts.

Don't do too much vertical section lowering unless the tree's got a lean or there are services underneath. Did some nice big poplar bits leaning over a footpath. Took the groundy a while to get dialled in, but then we were on fire. That GRCS bollard is amazing.

I can't stand port-a-wraps. Totally craze me. Can't find all the slack in the system, they smack aginst the tree, the diameters too small, the groundies struggle to lose the hockle. Hate them.

Anyway, to my mind, its best to have all the options for each section that you can. Then you can choose. If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail.

I can't stand port-a-wraps. Totally craze me. Can't find all the slack in the system, they smack aginst the tree, the diameters too small, the groundies struggle to lose the hockle. Hate them.

Blasphemy!!!

The Porty is our friend! How dare thee say such things!

The Portawrap is a great tool, can handle some BIG stuff.

Never used the GRCS but used the HOBBS many times, another great tool.

Quite a bit mate, at least once a week. We use it for a range of uses, from assisting felling to tensioning speedines. Used it the other day to move a stem from one side of a fence to the other after felling. Last year I had a nice day throwlining deadwood in sweet chestnuts in a habitat area and using the GRCS to pull it off.

And when it comes to storm damage and hung up trees, beats a Tirfor anyday

I suppose its just one of those things you use if you have. Its there for all my dismantles. If I left it back at the yard, I'd need it for sure.