Blocking down a stem

Mr Ed

There was an interesting thread at the treehouse by Deva about lowering chunks, and it got me thinking.

I really hate lowering big chunks of wood back against the stem, and always opt for bombing blocks down into the landing zone. Works for me, no matter how tight the LZ. If I dont want them to roll, I get the groundies to make a wall of timber to catch them.

I also never put felling cuts in blocks, unless it goes over about 5 foot long. I find it easier and faster to just power right through with the saw, and slide the block of the top.

Once they get over about 28" dia, I get the groundies to yank them off with a pull line.

So whats your opinions on getting the stem down?

attachment.php?attachmentid=15586&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1193189553

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether rigging or free-falling I prefer to do as little cutting as possible, so just within the boundry of what the groundstaff can deal with. I hate cutting lots of little bits. I'll avoid notching the big stuff if I can get away with it, here's a short vid from the other day.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=5919664296897929985&hl=en-GB

No need to comment on this particular method but is just another example, like Eds pull rope, of how straight-through cuts can be favourable

I don't have any hard and fast rules on getting a stem down, loads of different ways....

Sometimes I snap cut and hand held sections - throw into landing area.

Sometimes lower with rigging gear if there is no other option.

Sometimes slice cut right through.

Sometime get groundies to pull sections off.

I'd use a Blockdriver if I had one.

euc.jpg.239c8d7327d10f35aec6044bc4e7b005.jpg

pine1.JPG.38f81d2f1f82164248e6066880c4de6f.JPG

elm1.JPG.bfde2401cf1eab0b1272ad9ea676d835.JPG

beech.JPG.7f56af122fc74ff9783f6a9e59301597.JPG

elm.JPG.4cf235bda344107827548cb3ba8168a6.JPG

I just push them over until they get too thick, then I break out my wedge with a string attached. Even then, I still just push it over: the wedge just helps keeping the cut open.

the Blockdriver works exactly like your wedge/pushing technique but with a 15:1 drive mechanism. So what you can push with your arms, I could push with 15 times less effort i.e. if we were to have a chunk pushing contest you would lose every time, and that is a fact. I'd say its pretty staight forward.