Wing Cuts are a Good idea!

MOG

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you using holding wood when craning?? I thought "wing cuts" were only used for felling cuts.

Were you standing laterals up before they were lifted clear??

When craining I try to have no holding at all, just cutting clean through.

yeah i wasnt very clear sorry. We had huge laterals and there was no really way of step cuts with out standing them up abit/alot. as if we did step cuts, this would mean the crane would have to put huge amount of force to pull branch up and that is not what you want, a flying 1tone tree butt at your face.

i agree no holding wood, but i like to do tiny step cuts, rather than cutting right through. so it gives it a little lip to stop it from coming towards me and i can get out the way. they are a good little use i reckon, and defo is not just for felling. Felling from the ground is the same as felling in a tree no? when doing huge pieces i dont fancy them ripping or twisting. To be fair i do lots of big euc's over here in Oz. but thought i would bring the topic up for a bit of discussion and info.

cheers Mog

when doing crane work i use 3 main cutting techniques -

the first is a step cut, first cut made apporx 70% through then second cut made under first cut over lapping it.

The second is what I know as a crane cut, cutting 90% through the side away from the climber, then cutting at a 45degree angle downwards meeting the first cut, which leaves a small notch to stop the section coming backwards and into the climber.

The third technique is used when standing up lateral limbs, a scarf is placed in top side followed by wing cuts, a back cut is started along with the crane lifting the limb, holding wood is left until the limb is vertical or ready to be lifted out, at this point the holding wood is cut clear and limb lifted out.

The only time I apply wing cuts in crane removals is when standing limbs up using the third technique mentioned above. With the other two techniques i believe wings cuts are not necessary as the cuts meet or over lap so no bark or holding wood is left to hold up the limb.

MOG - when you were doing your step cuts were you leaving some 'holding wood' between them, is that why you were using wing cuts?

Cheers

when doing crane work i use 3 main cutting techniques -

the first is a step cut, first cut made apporx 70% through then second cut made under first cut over lapping it.

The second is what I know as a crane cut, cutting 90% through the side away from the climber, then cutting at a 45degree angle downwards meeting the first cut, which leaves a small notch to stop the section coming backwards and into the climber.

The third technique is used when standing up lateral limbs, a scarf is placed in top side followed by wing cuts, a back cut is started along with the crane lifting the limb, holding wood is left until the limb is vertical or ready to be lifted out, at this point the holding wood is cut clear and limb lifted out.

The only time I apply wing cuts in crane removals is when standing limbs up using the third technique mentioned above. With the other two techniques i believe wings cuts are not necessary as the cuts meet or over lap so no bark or holding wood is left to hold up the limb.

MOG - when you were doing your step cuts were you leaving some 'holding wood' between them, is that why you were using wing cuts?

Cheers

good techniques mate, Nar i dont leave holding wood between step cuts. but sometimes do wing cuts, as a thing of habit. and i think it no a bad idea to do them.

to be a bit clearer, it more like a three quarter circle i do. but just a slight cut on each side. start fairest point away from you move round the stem back towards you and then do other step cut just above. on top side of stem, then piece is gone.

this leaves you with a little cut on left side of stem, running on the same cut is your first step cut and then when you same little cut on right. this pretty much creates a square/rectangle. then your top step cut just above.

be much easier to do a diagram. maybe try and draw some things your selves and try it out. i am just saying this is the way i do and it works for me and makes sense.

cheers Mog

Wing cuts are a must purely for safety reasons when felling heads out and cutting heavy lateral limbs,especially if you have your lanyard attached close by.

I had a very close shave with a dirty mac in Nz when removing a large lateral and hadnt put any wings in the bark tore down and pinned me too the tree quick smart and my arse was in rapid blink mode.

So for me and especially trainee climbers always put wing cuts in,it's quick easy and gives the climber piece of mind.

Good thread Mr Glen

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?k0hkvp