How many files do you go through?

Daniël Bos

Agree that files dont seem to last as long as 20 yrs ago

BUT getting through 2 files to sharpen a chain????????????????

I presume you know not ever to let a file touch the cutter on the return stroke?

And 30 strokes on a cutter...must be a blunt file. If I did 30 stroke I wouldnt have a cutter left (OK slight exaggeration!)

Oregon files btw

Maybe he means that 2 files last the life of one chain?

And if I did 30 strokes I'd be reaching for the tissues

..........................just to mop the sweat off my forehead!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely agree that the Oregon files don't last as long as they used to - bought several boxes of Oregon ones at an APF at least 6 years ago now, maybe more, and only ran out last year - they were pretty good, but the ones that I've had since have been next to useless, even tapping the filings out every few strokes.

Was scrub clearing on some stony ground over the last couple of weeks so been sharpening a fair bit per day. Decided had had enough so bought some Stihl ones - so far they seem to be more aggressive and lasting longer too :thumbup1:

I presume you know not ever to let a file touch the cutter on the return stroke?

I'm amazed how many people you see that do drag the file on the back stroke still though and wonder why their files last even less

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Definitely agree that the Oregon files don't last as long as they used to - bought several boxes of Oregon ones at an APF at least 6 years ago now, maybe more, and only ran out last year - they were pretty good, but the ones that I've had since have been next to useless, even tapping the filings out every few strokes.

Trouble is it's such a difficult thing to measure. I've taken really close up pics of files to see if there's a visible difference and can't see it.... Oregon have just put the price of their files up quite a %.....

But that's not to say there aren't differences and perhaps as you say down to different batches from the same manufacturer.

A slightly more conspiracy angle of the less time the files last the more you have to buy.... :001_unsure:

Now I think about it after doing it and writing the previous posts, I realised I should have just done the one or even left it. Ah well. It doesn't get used that much anyway.

Still had sore wrists after all that back and forth motion!

I know for next time when I find something undesirable!

Trouble is it's such a difficult thing to measure. I've taken really close up pics of files to see if there's a visible difference and can't see it.... Oregon have just put the price of their files up quite a %.....

But that's not to say there aren't differences and perhaps as you say down to different batches from the same manufacturer.

A slightly more conspiracy angle of the less time the files last the more you have to buy.... :001_unsure:

Surely the hardening/tempering process is a big part in how long a file will last?:001_smile:

Sorry I thought it was pretty obvious this would be the life of the chain from out the packet to bin :001_rolleyes:

Mebs me just being a bit thick:blushing:

Edited by corylus
Rushing and therefore not thinking that I should have written BEING instead of BEEN. Many apologies for my crass mistake.