Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

In the words of the late James Allen (irish comedian from the 80's)

"Goodnight, and may your god go with you"

James or Dave Allen?

Iam happy with each to their own but like anything, I don't particularly enjoy having it rammed down my throat. Personally, the sun comes up, the sun goes down and without it we're all screwed. I can see it, I can feel it and that's more than good enough for me. I don't pray to it asking for stuff it can't give and I don't blame it for stuff it doesn't do. It just is.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atheist here, well, in that I don't believe in a god as such. However high on a mountainside or up a tree on a beautiful day I do feel spiritual, maybe that is just endorphin release due to the stimuli though?

The Bible was written as a way for those at the top to control those at the bottom, simple as.

With all the suffering in the world how can you explain it all away?

I became a Christian when I came to Jesus Christ by faith and asked Him to save me from my sin. I believed that His death on the cross was full and final payment for my sin against a holy God and that the salvation I wanted was found entirely in His sacrifice, not in any good deed I could do. Since then I have sought to live a life that is worthy of His holy standard, I often let Christ down , but He will never let me down. I find true peace in living in harmony with my God and Saviour, there is a massive God shaped void in everones life, I used to have it and it is plain to see in many around.

It's going to be very hard not to be at least a little disrespectful, but I find it tremendously hard to comprehend how any person in there right mind can honestly believe in such abstract nonsense. The very concept of a saviour who died for our sins seems to give many the right to act in a most 'unchristian' way. I use the example of my mother in law, who is fairly active with her church, and has on several occasions said that many of the congregation are incredibly unchristian in the way they regard each other and behave as individuals.

I strongly feel that until we can somehow rid ourselves (as a species) of this psychological dependence on the concept of a power greater than ourselves, we will never, ever progress to the point where we can live harmoniously.

Atheist here, well, in that I don't believe in a god as such. However high on a mountainside or up a tree on a beautiful day I do feel spiritual, maybe that is just endorphin release due to the stimuli though?

The Bible was written as a way for those at the top to control those at the bottom, simple as.

With all the suffering in the world how can you explain it all away?

Does that make you an animist rather than an atheist?

Cor,

What a Sunday morning gift to a Northern Ireland Presbyterian.

(i) Worcswuss was 100% correct (if I recall)

(ii) It was Dave Allen (and I think it was may your "gods" go with you?)

Anyway reared Presbyterian, it did not stick though I will probably be buried Presbyterian, might need to bung the Clergy a wheen o thousand up front first, just as insurance.

Felt oblidged to take the children to church, that did not stick either simply because they were cured of religeon at School by the RE teacher, a religeous "nutter"

Met a few Nuns in my time and I have to say their Sereneity was remarkable?

Have attended Roman Catholic Funerals without fuss, merely a bit bemused by all the rig-ma-role/ritual.

And Then I remembered Karl Marx,s comment.

PS

There are also plenty of Presbyterians who should be tramped in a hole ( i.e. they merely reflect the wider cross section of Society)

My God fearing maternal grandmother remarked 50 or 60 years ago to my mother, in respect of a local "bad egg" who had taken to religeon in later life, and I quote " the bigger the Bible, the bigger the bastard hiding behind it"

That shocked me and I still wonder what she knew?

Otherwise a god fearing christian woman.

Wor 20 year old son hangs out with the Bahia crowd, when he is not in the Pub, he reckons theirs is the only rational religeon, in that one is allowed to question, plus their central tenent is merely to do good to others.

And Oh them nutters that preach in Coleraine of a Saturday

They def got several screws well loose, strangely all men too??

God Bless

Marcus

I strongly feel that until we can somehow rid ourselves (as a species) of this psychological dependence on the concept of a power greater than ourselves, we will never, ever progress to the point where we can live harmoniously.

In that you hint that WE are the greater power, that is another of humanities great sins.

we are not, the power of nature is FAR greater than you or I and the human species is constantly reminded of this in the face of natural events.

we are not special, we are an organism in a system.