Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

My gran is a devout jehovahs witness, she fears for me, even asking me if i am unafraid of gods judgment.

but I have very lengthy intelligent conversations with her, she admires my scientific knowledge and passion to understand the world, and I respect her for her devout faith and she is devout, one has to respect that for it is a rare thing to be so strict about anything in life.

it isnt religion that causes trouble, it is individuals who interpret their religion in ways that quite frankly are so anti any religious belief that it defies logic.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont believe in any man made religion. They are all rediculous imo. I am open minded about spiritual things.

Each to their own, but basing your life on a book some people wrote a several hundered years ago is a tad silly....

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/lounge/26417-liberalism-gone-mad-2.html

Just wondered if there was many other Christians on arbtalk...

Ignore the sour comments, each to his own, my views as i'v got older have changed, when i was a young man i was wild and its only these last few years that i'v changed-i did a lot of things which i now regret, which i have to live with, i'v also come through some really horrific experiences at that point in my life i did turn to someone not of this world. I also remeber when i was in the forces the times we would go and see the chaplain for tea and cake and of the very poignant moments when someone died or was killed, and what about rememberance day? yes i believe in god.

Man is in possession of a complex tool that requires a considerable degree of wisdom if it can be utilised without having a damaging effect on the ecology we are all part of.

Religion has been a necessary means to control and direct the power we posses but I believe we are in the grip of a new sort of religion that threatens to destroy what we could be. Capitalism,greed, materialism, drive for constant growth, these are the ways of the modern day religion.

Far better to believe in the teachings of the prophets than the colour of money.

Those that do may find themselves in the minority but that is no bad thing when you consider the position of the majority.

To learn about the wonders of the natural world and begin to understand that everything is indeed connected and interdependent might eventually put us on the right path. Life has a common origin and we will never escape that no matter how rich we become.

The ability to accept the truth when we see it is something we surely all poses but often don't have the courage to acknowledge. It's too easy to lose your religion or hide behind it.

When we are sustainable we will be there but will that ever happen?

Ignore the sour comments, each to his own, my views as i'v got older have changed, when i was a young man i was wild and its only these last few years that i'v changed-i did a lot of things which i now regret, which i have to live with, i'v also come through some really horrific experiences at that point in my life i did turn to someone not of this world. I also remeber when i was in the forces the times we would go and see the chaplain for tea and cake and of the very poignant moments when someone died or was killed, and what about rememberance day? yes i believe in god.

Thank you for your service.:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy

Expect to be well and truly shot down in flames on this one.

It won't be general anti-theism either, but genuine hatred of God...

This could well bring up so much strong feeling and loathing that the thread will be removed. I'm not for a secular police but I think this particular thread was unwise.

I don't think matt was interested in starting any debates ect but simply interested to see if there was any more Christians on at talk. In the same way that one might ask for example " anymore bikers on arbtalk"........now I not trying to cause friction but perhaps you should re read the original post:thumbup:

I was a Jehovah's Witness for the first 30 years of my life, but at age 30 and with my first child reaching an age where I was going being indoctrinating him, thought I had better do some serious research, this lead to me,my wife and all her family leaving the JW's.

How do any of you Christians get you head around all the horrors we see around us, often involving the weakest, innocent, and most venerable in society

The problem with religion in general (aside from the obviously enormous leap of faith required to believe even a fraction of the Bible, or any other religion text for that matter) is that it challenges the very foundation of self determinism.

I strongly believe that I, do to a greater or lesser extent, have the right to determine my own 'destiny'. The notion of 'God's Plan' is counter to that, and I reject it.

It's often argued that Science is in itself a belief system. I have no problem with that at all though - I am happy to believe in extremely clever people who must evidence each theory they tout rather than a 2000 year old text that claims that people can be created from ribs and live for 970 years!

Good film to watch is Religulous btw!

I was a Jehovah's Witness for the first 30 years of my life, but at age 30 and with my first child reaching an age where I was going being indoctrinating him, thought I had better do some serious research, this lead to me,my wife and all her family leaving the JW's.

How do any of you Christians get you head around all the horrors we see around us, often involving the weakest, innocent, and most venerable in society

Skyhuck I'd refer you to the post directly above yours!