Is it illegal to use a chainsaw on someone else's land without doing cs30/31

Ted_165

People keep saying that your insurer will not pay out if you have no tickets, but no one ever comes up with an example of this having ever happened.

I 18 years of have PL&EL insurance (with 2 different Co's) I've never been asked for tickets, I've made two claims and both paid out without hassle and without asking about tickets.

I've have also had numerous claims

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People keep saying that your insurer will not pay out if you have no tickets, but no one ever comes up with an example of this having ever happened.

I 18 years of have PL&EL insurance (with 2 different Co's) I've never been asked for tickets, I've made two claims and both paid out without hassle and without asking about tickets.

yes but did you badly hurt anyone

Say for instance there was a claim for £500

The insurer pays out as he thinks he will lose your business if he doesn't and the maths add up in his favour

But- if the claim is half a million then he may decide to not pay out as he doesn't want you as a customer and anyhow you would have to pay premiums for 500 years to recoup his loss.

I too would like to hear from anyone who has had payout refused due to non ticket holding.

yes but did you badly hurt anyone

Say for instance there was a claim for £500

The insurer pays out as he thinks he will lose your business if he doesn't and the maths add up in his favour

But- if the claim is half a million then he may decide to not pay out as he doesn't want you as a customer and anyhow you would have to pay premiums for 500 years to recoup his loss.

I too would like to hear from anyone who has had payout refused due to non ticket holding.

Don't hold your breath :sneaky2:

Even if you are driving illegally (speeding/drink driving,etc) your insurer still has to cover third parties.

You won't get your personal losses covered (car, etc), but other peoples losses are still covered.

Don't hold your breath :sneaky2:

Even if you are driving illegally (speeding/drink driving,etc) your insurer still has to cover third parties.

You won't get your personal losses covered (car, etc), but other peoples losses are still covered.

yea

but if you are driving without a licence(ticket) surely your insurer would not pay out

yea

but if you are driving without a licence(ticket) surely your insurer would not pay out

Not sure, but tickets are not a licence, its no where near as clear cut.

My insurer was more interested in years of trading/experience.

What if you have tickets, but are not working to best practice as taught and assessed for tickets??

Not sure, but tickets are not a licence, its no where near as clear cut.

My insurer was more interested in years of trading/experience.

What if you have tickets, but are not working to best practice as taught and assessed for tickets??

If I was an insurer I'd be interested in years claim free- but thats just me

Your last comment is very relevant- and relates to the suggestion by trainers that we should undertake regular updates. Not many on here do (I believe) but would still think themselves as fully trained (both in tickets plus experience)

In truth we all get a bit sloppy/complacent- lets face it. Who always has a wedge/hammer/spare bar/chain/second saw/ kit bag with them when felling a large tree ready for the one that decides it wants to sit back?

Just after I passed my ticket I always had these near by for these instances.

Even though I am more experienced I don't feel the same compulsion to cover my actions in this way any more. Now thats sloppy!!

Now I'm just going on.... I'll stop

If I was an insurer I'd be interested in years claim free- but thats just me

Your last comment is very relevant- and relates to the suggestion by trainers that we should undertake regular updates. Not many on here do (I believe) but would still think themselves as fully trained (both in tickets plus experience)

In truth we all get a bit sloppy/complacent- lets face it. Who always has a wedge/hammer/spare bar/chain/second saw/ kit bag with them when felling a large tree ready for the one that decides it wants to sit back?

Just after I passed my ticket I always had these near by for these instances.

Even though I am more experienced I don't feel the same compulsion to cover my actions in this way any more. Now thats sloppy!!

Now I'm just going on.... I'll stop

Any insurer who tried to dodge claims would soon get a bad rep and loose business, just like any other trade that offered poor service.

To think people only fail to follow best best practice because its a while since their assessment or training is a little naive IMO.

How many people still drive in the manner they were instructed?? and not because they have forgot, people just prefer other ways.

Who it to say "best practice" is best, I agree its a good starting point for the novice, but I think the more experienced move on to more advanced and skilled ways of working, I'm personally not interested in some suit telling me how to do my job.

If your insurer makes the qualification a condition of the insurance they can invalidate or cancel the policy if you don’t hold the required qualification.

Because you weren’t asked for qualifications they can’t make them a condition at a later date.

If the insurer asked to see certs and you don’t provide them the policy will probably be cancelled.

Chances are they will start the policy and ask you to send the proof on, (that’s what happened to me) if you made a claim before it got to them insisting on seeing the certs and you then didn’t have them they would be within their rights to cancel the policy and not pay the claim.

In general insurers will cover anyone, the qualification thing just brings your premium down, training and qualification are seen as reducing the insurers exposure.

Even in an employed position, there is no legal requirement for you to have cs 30 and 31 to do anything with a chainsaw. NPTC units are designed to show that you can use a chainsaw to a (minimal) safe standard. The man in the shop can show you how to use a chainsaw. After that, you've received training. Whether or not it is considered adequate is down to the courts to decide.