Heat acumulator tank on rayburn?

normandylumberjack

We have a Rayburn 345W, which will only take wood as fuel - no coal or smokeless fuels - and is connected to a thermal store (same as accumulator).

No probs keeping it in over night providing we put some decent lumps of hardwood in (oak or beech works best).

The thermal store is also heated by a log burner.

We can manage to run up to 12 rads and it provides mains pressure hot water.

I think they are brilliant!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a Rayburn 345W, which will only take wood as fuel - no coal or smokeless fuels - and is connected to a thermal store (same as accumulator).

No probs keeping it in over night providing we put some decent lumps of hardwood in (oak or beech works best).

The thermal store is also heated by a log burner.

We can manage to run up to 12 rads and it provides mains pressure hot water.

I think they are brilliant!

i have a similar system (sandyford and a stove on 400ltr thermal store) but run wet underfloor. bit smokey if you let the tank get too cool, but as said brillant

we run our 355sfw into a 350ltr thermal store, then there are two coils one for the hot water approx 1km long to give mains pressure hot water, works a treat and one for the rads which runs 12, you can kill it eventually but it works ok we have trvs on all the rads and turn down the ones where the rooms are not being used. we've ran the bath 3 times and its still hot also have 3 wood burners as back up.

the rayburn is much superior to the esse, but more hungry.

we get black diamonds from here 280/ton delivered. the welsh coal is smokless and only 20 quid more.

1 tone will last around 3 months flat out. biggest problem i have is cutting enough wood as the Mrs burns it before its seasoned!

Keeping it in isn't a problem for us - we have a 355, and even on crappy poplar it still has a fire in the morning. That said, keeping it going overnight and belting the heat out would be a different problem. You are pretty much on the limit for a wood burning rayburn at 9 rads, so expecting it to heat up an accumulator as well might be pushing it.

Try playing around with the thermostatically controlled vent. If you set it at (say) 3, and don't put the flue slider all the way in, you could set the CH to go off at 11:00 PM when you bank it - then kick in again at 06:00 before you get up. This would open up the inlet and set off a fierce burn, you would need to refuel at 07:00.

Remember that these things were originally designed for farmers - get up at 5 to milk the cows, reload the rayburn on the way out to the cow shed, by the time you got back at in at 08:00, it was toasty hot for cooking breakfast.

Does anyone use an old Rayburn No2??

I have acquired one which needs a bit of tlc and want it to run some underfloor heating and a couple of rads, preferably with a thermal store.

I lit some newspaper in the firebox and smoke poured out of the hob and the ovens so it definitely needs some 'attention'!

Google searches haven't produced much info on it so any advice/specs etc. would be greatly recieved!!

No 2 I think was what became the Royal when they stuck a lid on the hotplate.

Will just need fire ropes round the hotplate but why it smokes through the oven will need further investigation, it hasn't burned through has it?

My old Royal had gone through the other side of the fire box...

http://www.rayburn-web.co.uk/Prodin/Rayburn%20cooker%20identity/Rayburn%20Solid%20fuel%20cookers/Rayburn%20No2%20identity.pdf