Ifor Williams trailer security

Lorry thompson

I had a wheel clamp and a hitch lock fitted to my 10x6 Ifor flatbed and it still got stolen . You cannot be to careful . I now find that ground anchors and hitch locks and wheel clamps to be effective when you weld / strengthen and fabricate them to suit your needs .:001_smile:

Hope all is well at your end Lorry

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a customer who kept getting his ifor's stolen from his yard, the police advised getting his new one painted which he did in a nice loud green and his last one was never stolen, apparently it's less likely to be stolen because it stands out.

The thing is, like some have said, if they bring the right gear, they WILL steal it.

Crimes really bad round here again at the minute and the trick is, make it as awkward as possible, use big heavy chains that make lots of noise, use as many things as you possibly can to make it a massive ball ache for them and hopefully they will realise its not worth the effort and try and look for an easier target.

If it takes you half an hour in a morning and at night to undo all the locks and chains and ground anchors etc then so be it pal. With any luck you'll keep your trailer :-)

Firm I used to work for had a spate of thefts, so: hitch lock, wkeelclamp, a long steel girder or solid bit of steel with chains thru or welded to it and then chained across the front of the trailer on the A frome of the drawbar. Almost impossible to remove with out cutting gear!

Worked well and even tho they broke into the unit they didn't get the trailers.

Like the board thru the a fraome/drawbar idea.

I have a customer who kept getting his ifor's stolen from his yard, the police advised getting his new one painted which he did in a nice loud green and his last one was never stolen, apparently it's less likely to be stolen because it stands out.

There's was a programme on tv the other night about people stealing plant equipment, police again said if they really want it, they'll take it BUT they reckon the best thing to do is to paint it bright colours and sign write it up, plaster your name and numbers alllllllll over it, put phone numbers on the number plates and grind them in it somewhere too, they said that's the best deterrent, just because it's so obvious whose it is and that there a plenty out there with no signs and numbers etc, so usually the crims will go after something else

Trouble is with the sign writing we have a crew does all our own work which is all sign written up but we have a crew which sub contracts a lot and they like us to keep out truck etc sign free. I thought of welding numbers on draw bar etc. I like the painting idea think we're gonna paint our chippers a different colour when we get time thinking Kawasaki green see if the chip faster:) I'd heard of a firm painting their plant pink! Bet it works