Suspension Trauma

John Hancock

I’m on my two-day top-up first aid course this week at the West Midlands Ambulance Service H/Q.

During lunch I raised the topic of Suspension Trauma / crush injuries with ref. to the Arb’ Industry. Basically if an injured climber has been suspended in the tree canopy for longer than 15 minutes don’t release the climber from the harness or indeed bring him / her to the ground. Toxins that have built up in the lower part of the body while suspended will be released causing kidney failure and could result in death.

Expert medical care is needed when releasing the patient if the blood flow has been impaired for 15 minutes or more.

Apologies if this has been covered before, just thought it was worth a mention…

Here is a good link on Suspension Trauma…

http://www.suspensiontrauma.info/introduction/

its a good point john and was covered in our 4 day course the same goes for someone who is trapped under or against something, the toxins build in a similar way.

Cheers Matt, the only reason I brought it up was that ST was never covered when I took my climbing ticket, all those years ago.....

If I might add a little to that, crush injuries and suspension trauma are different animals, and the casualty management for them is different and needs to take other injuries into account.

Each casualty management situation has its own variables but as guidelines, the patient suffering crush injury should not be released if the injury is extensive and they have been trapped for some time. The build up of toxins comes from damaged tissue (muscle) so crush injury involving the thigh is much more severe than a trapped ankle.

For suspension trauma the danger comes from blood pooling in extremities depriving the brain of oxygen. The severity and speed of onset depend on many factors but harness is a major one. The good news for us is that generally speaking work positioning harnesses are better than fall arrest.

As arborists we also have the advantage that we are less likely to hang vertical unlike some poor sod unconscious in a shaft.

I would disagree with the idea of not retrieving or releasing the casualty. It is safe to retrieve the casualty and bring them to a sitting position. There is no treatment available to a first responder and professional medical help is urgent. It is likely the casualty has other injuries making this imperative.

Andy

I would disagree with the idea of not retrieving or releasing the casualty. It is safe to retrieve the casualty and bring them to a sitting position. There is no treatment available to a first responder and professional medical help is urgent. It is likely the casualty has other injuries making this imperative.

Andy

Retrieval and casualty positioning is taught on the Ariel rescue/ Cs38 course