arboriculture- what is it?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I had a rather interesting conversation with an ausie arb today, which has lead to me pondering exactly what "arboriculture" is or means. This may sound like a silly question to some of you but for two clued up arbs to be discussing and having some difficulties in agreeing on the true meaning and purpose or role of the arboriculturists suggests this is not as clear cut as it should be. Not that anything is ever black or white as such, but I saw it as differing roles within, such as technician etc.

this has profound issues for me personally, so im genuinely fascinated by the question and what it means to others.

So what is it, what is arboriculture?

if we had to define the job in its purist sense and say that sivaculture is another thing altogether, because arboriculture is seprate to silvaculture.

This comes from a discussion between me (myco-eccentric) and the other (soil/bacteria-eccentric) view, so are the two viewpoints we have something that is not of arboriculture and more a trying to force other industrial/factors into an industry that they have no part in?

is arboriculture just about treating trees for human needs? is that really what arboriculture boils down to? managing trees for humans as plants in the garden/urban habitat?

or is the role about being the guardians and custodians of these keystone species and managing the complex conflicts that arise between the needs of trees and their ecologies and the needs/whims of man?

has ecology any role in pure applied arboriculture?

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread Tony,

One of which when just thought about it would have to go with 'managing trees for human aesthetics', purely because sivaculture covers everything else i can think of. We all know trees manage themselves well all on their own so anything we do is mainly subjective to our 'human' need and opinions??

Interesting thread Tony,

One of which when just thought about it would have to go with 'managing trees for human aesthetics', purely because sivaculture covers everything else i can think of. We all know trees manage themselves well all on their own so anything we do is mainly subjective to our 'human' need and opinions??

everytime I get my head around adding to my book I find myself having to re think, re search and try to find the right language approach method application purpose etc etc!

for someone who finds writing a natural thing this is a most frustrating dilema!:lol:

I had a rather interesting conversation with an ausie arb today, which has lead to me pondering exactly what "arboriculture" is or means. This may sound like a silly question to some of you but for two clued up arbs to be discussing and having some difficulties in agreeing on the true meaning and purpose or role of the arboriculturists suggests this is not as clear cut as it should be. Not that anything is ever black or white as such, but I saw it as differing roles within, such as technician etc.

this has profound issues for me personally, so im genuinely fascinated by the question and what it means to others.

So what is it, what is arboriculture?

if we had to define the job in its purist sense and say that sivaculture is another thing altogether, because arboriculture is seprate to silvaculture.

This comes from a discussion between me (myco-eccentric) and the other (soil/bacteria-eccentric) view, so are the two viewpoints we have something that is not of arboriculture and more a trying to force other industrial/factors into an industry that they have no part in?

is arboriculture just about treating trees for human needs? is that really what arboriculture boils down to? managing trees for humans as plants in the garden/urban habitat?

or is the role about being the guardians and custodians of these keystone species and managing the complex conflicts that arise between the needs of trees and their ecologies and the needs/whims of man?

has ecology any role in pure applied arboriculture?

id say arb is everything relating to tree's apart from the production of timber :001_smile:

Edited by WoodED
selling

I see two different meanings.

One is the cultivation of arborists, whether that be carried out in nature or in the lab, it's the putting together of different varieties of arborist to come up with another. So we have gorilla type arborist and the well educated poncy type arborist, and by combining the two we hope to be able to come up with an arborist who is both highly efficient and physical, while having a degree of social skills.

The other meaning of arboriculture is literally the culture surrounding arborists, so it's typically male posturing, heavy drinking (esp tea and coffee, maybe even the odd pint of beer), a penchant for shiny metal objects and sexual gratification obtained through tying things up with rope utilising a variety of knots and hitches.

I belive it has to be broken down.

For example Agriculture covers arable/ live stock and then fruit, then some mite say that fruit comes under Horticulture,

So Horticulture covers soft landscaping and nursery production is there more.

Arboriculture is the management and cultivation of amenity trees, covers production of young trees, or is this still Horticulture, Silver culture is for forestry.

When we speak of arboriculture most people look for the climbing kit,

it starts long before then.

What a can of worm's.

I belive it has to be broken down.

For example Agriculture covers arable/ live stock and then fruit, then some mite say that fruit comes under Horticulture,

So Horticulture covers soft landscaping and nursery production is there more.

Arboriculture is the management and cultivation of amenity trees, covers production of young trees, or is this still Horticulture, Silver culture is for forestry.

When we speak of arboriculture most people look for the climbing kit,

it starts long before then.

What a can of worm's.

Really only One can of worms?

easy-lift guy

well put it this way, for me as a totaly unqualified individual which im only saying because I have no background in which to look out from, and not knowing myself what I am and what i should be doing as of june when I turn 40, this question is pretty important!

if I am to quit climbing i need to consider exactly what i am capable of outside of this profession! thats getting pretty urgent!