Selling top handles to non professionals.

Mesterh

Do the invoices from your suppliers stipulate what actually makes a pro or is it down to interpretation?

I would class myself as a 'pro' for the purpose of a top handled saw... I have done competencies in ground saws and felling, I have pollarded, pruned and dismantled plenty of trees using both tail & top handled saws, own both types and I've been doing it for a while... [not sure how long they've been called MS-'T's but I remember buying an 019T new from Buftons].... but I don't have 38 or 39...

Would you sell me a saw...? Just out of curiosity, not being arsey... :001_smile:

The invoices tell no more than I have said. It should follow that the manufactures sales policy gives the details. The only manufacture we are a maindealer for who sell a top handle is Tanaka. I am fairly certain that their policy contains no more than " must only be sold" bit but I will check at work tomorrow.

The MS200t,s that I have sold come through a Stihl main dealer, I will ask them next week.

I always try do things right, and as of this moment my interpretation of 'right' would mean that I would not sell it to you. Others may, I dont know.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right then.

On the Stihl UK web site its says in regards to arborist chainsaws. " For sale only to accredited, professional tree surgeons."

So it seems they ask us to provide some form of accreditation ie certificate of competence but I cant find out what types of certs they deem as acceptable.

I am bringing this up for no other reason than I am interested and nosy.:thumbup:

I dont agree with the policy and I would hazard at a guess that a 'good' lawyer could have a field day with Stihl over this. ie you cant buy this saw if you arent in this club.

Does anyone know the LAW on this?

Are you breaking a LAW selling a top handle to anyone without the tickets?

Are you breaking the LAW by using one on the ground?

OR are you going against manufacturers/industry guidelines or contravening insurance conditions?

(This is a plea for FACT, not supposition)

Promise I will stop using uppercase so much in future!

Same in the US .If you have the money you get the saw .They might be nannys in the large metro areas but out here in the corn fields they could care less .

I don't know where they ever got the idea a top handle is so dangerous any way .If you know how to handle a saw it isn't any more of a hazard than any other saw.

Although I think HSE state that if you get one of your employees to use a top handled saw, legally they must be trained.

Technically I think 'owner drivers' are OK...

how do you go on if you have a lad currently training for his tickets?

only wondering as i have a lad learning and gathering experience in smaller trees ,so bought him a 200t as i believe everyone should have their own kit,making them responsible for the maintainence and up keep of their kit is a key part of the experience process?

From a manufacturers perspective, I would say that they have deemed top handled saws to be more dangerous than a rear handle design (think we would all agree).

As a manufacturer, they would want to be seen to put in place a policy that shows they have taken all precautions that would be deemmed fair and reasonable so that is why they ask for tickets and have a generic statement " For sale only to accredited, professional tree surgeons."

This statement is probably a European statement and MAY cover many countries hence it being loose or possibley they have designed it to cover any possible change in what current H&S legislation will call climbing certificates.

It is basically their insurance policy if someone injures themselves after purchasing one of their saws - it is them as a manufacturer saying - "Hey lads, we manufacture some dangerous kit, if you have been trained on it, we expect you to use it safely, if you haven't had training - sod off, we don't want your accident to blemish our company name - go buy a saw off eBay".

I don't work for either Stihl or Husky but do work for a German manufacturer!