Stove advice

Derek Trimblits

Just been giving my uncle a lift with his Aarow stove. The airwash was not functioning. We have cleaned the stove completely, and swept the chimney (no blockages).

This has not helped and the fire just dies if you close the bottom airvent. The airwash at the top of the glass just doesn't seem to be working.

Any suggestions anyone?

Cheers

HI derek any stove 5kw plus you need to fit a air vent mate jon :thumbup:

Some days you'll get no draw if the air outside is cold damp and still but typically it will be down to your fluing and ventilation.

What about if you leave the bottom stove vent open, will it draw fast and develop a lively fire? If it draws with the door slightly open or the bottom vent open then draw might not be the problem. If not then it is.

If the draw is OK and it's a pure woodburner then you may need to wait for an established and very hot fire before closing the bottom air vent.

Is the chimney unlined? If so you will need to work hard at getting it up to temperature and pulling sufficiently to maintain a fire. Burning lots of newspaper and kindling can help in these situations.

As mentioned it might not be getting enough air from the room. Close all the doors to the room and open a window to equalise the air pressures inside and out. That should make no difference at all to how it works, if it does then you are staring it of air and need ventilation.

Kitchen extractor hoods, bathroom extractors and whole house ventilation will create negative pressure in the house and try to pull air down a chimney. This must be taken into consideration.

Good luck with that.

HI DEREK whats the kw of stove have you got a air vent thanks jon :thumbup:

Its not made anymore -this is probably around 15 years old and i would imagine about 16 kw. Its a real big un with single glass door, cranks out some real heat (when its drawing!)

The stove has worked perfectly for years -until i lit it last week!

Still head scratching!

Cheers for all the replies.:thumbup:

Its not made anymore -this is probably around 15 years old and i would imagine about 16 kw. Its a real big un with single glass door, cranks out some real heat (when its drawing!)

The stove has worked perfectly for years -until i lit it last week!

Still head scratching!

Cheers for all the replies.:thumbup:

HI derek with a stove that large 16kw you need air vent ours is a new 16kw euro heat and we have a air vent it better now with one thanks jon :thumbup: