Speed Awareness Clinic.

PeteB

Very true!!:thumbup1:

But at 25mph would be better still, or 20mph, or 15mph.

I agree totally. I find that in many suburban streets and also narrow country lanes, I find myself driving considerably less than the 30 limit as in many places its just not safe.

There should IMO be more 20 mph limits.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because i may not understand why i have to do things, I do understand its beyond understanding why. So people who do understand why are put in a position to make some desicions for us, and others are there to enforce it.:001_smile:

Let's say we hear of 10 folk in 10 years get killed on a rd, doesn't seem much if we add up the amount of people who drive the roads over this length of time.

But if it is the same ambulance , police and funeral people who have to deal with the aftermath, and watch the families deal with such a loss. Maybe we should give them the respect of helping decide what speeds are safe or not.

It's not like we have to guess. We have speedometers and big signs and gadgets to tell us what speed we should be doing.

And yes I have had too been stopped twice and given points, flashed twice and luckily never heard and nearly killed a friend and a few others in cars and yes I spat out the dummy and made a big noise , rather than except the punishment at the time:blushing:

Glad you learnt something from the course Pete

We all have speedometers and know the speed limits if you choose to ignore them then don't moan when caught. Do the crime do the time.

I agree, had to do the course myself a couple of years ago, felt put out as it was just 33 in a 30 limit, but it was a real eye opener, I dont speed anymore, roads would be much safer if everyone had to do the course every 5 yrs or so, half the people didnt know what roads signs meant, road markings etc and had forgotten what the highway code said about lots of things, + we got lots of advice from an expert police driver, and no points on the license.

We all have speedometers and know the speed limits if you choose to ignore them then don't moan when caught. Do the crime do the time.

I agree with the first part but not the second. It is becoming harder and harder to know what the actual speed limit is on any section of road. The main reasons for this is the move away from the use of the National Speed Limit and the number of hidden speed limit signs that are around. Even repeater signs in places leave a lot to be desired.

I had to do a morning long course- i was caught by a camera very late at night towing the chipper at 56 in a 50 zone , so maybe they didnt think it warranted the length of course some of you lot have mentioned, but we did watch this video taken from a car driving throught the centre of Preston i think. You had to identify hazards, much the same asin the current driving test theory i believe. I picked out something like 36 potential hazards, ranging from junctions with streets, roadworks to even saying bushes in the central reservation could pose a hazard in case anyone was in them......there were about 32 of us on the course, including these four mums (incidentally they are the highest 'subscribers' to these courses as they nearly all get caught on the school run doing about 38 in 30 zones), one of whom had struggled to identify more than 4 hazards!!!!!! (most people had said about 20-30, the optimum target for the driving test would have been 19). I wonder how some of these people pass their tests!

I agree with the first part but not the second. It is becoming harder and harder to know what the actual speed limit is on any section of road. The main reasons for this is the move away from the use of the National Speed Limit and the number of hidden speed limit signs that are around. Even repeater signs in places leave a lot to be desired.

Most sat navs have a warning built into them they are not that expensive. Without a driving license most of us would not have work.