Hitchclimber

Ben

How do you find the icetail as a hitch cord? I have a footlock strop in it, but have never got around to trying it anywhere else.

I like the Icetail just fine. I like a soft VT and it is that. Looks a bit rugged right off the bat, but then seems to hold without further deterioration for awhile.

Dave

Bills right about the lack of self tailing, you do have to be really high, especially with a light rope like tachyon...

I use both Elderid timber blue and Tachyon and both self tend real nice with Armor Prus hitchcord using a 3wrap 2 braid VT. I think you have to have exactly the correct length of hitch cord for it to work. I experimented a bit then now know the length so a new cord can be cut and tied in a short time and hey presto, new cord and a nice climb. It does take perseverance though!:001_tongue:

Do you need to have a stiched eye friction cord or can you tie your own? If so what termination knot would you use. Double fishermans? Or should that be a triple fishermans?

you dont need a spliced eye but im sure they are safer. ive always tie double fishermans with plenty of tail.

In the "Hitch Climber's Guide to the Canopy" the use of a fisherman's knot as a termiation is defined as a misconfiguration and we strongly discourage tying a termination knot and recommend the use of a spliced eye.

The stiched eyes on the eye2eye slings have a double function, 1) they keep the sling held in postion and 2) they add stiffness, keeping the legs of the knot more upright and the wraps of the knot further up. This prevent the hitch from opening up as much and will make it behave in a more consistent fashion.

Regards, Mark.