Spikes question

RobRainford

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years back Jon Turnbull (podium World Tree Climbing champs) was on Honey Bros. stand at the Arb Fair. He persuaded me to part with the cash for the carbon Geckos with velcro. I know before these came out he didn't like spikes at all. Neither did I.

They are very, very good.

I think they are expensive, but most good kit is. I don't walk around in them, I wear them up the tree and take them off when I get down. The velcro is super comfy, and never slips (unlike the leather straps I had on my Buckinghams).

If MattyF comes on here slagging them off, ignore him. He wore his out walking into pubs with them on all the time trying to impress barmaids.

A few years back Jon Turnbull (podium World Tree Climbing champs) was on Honey Bros. stand at the Arb Fair. He persuaded me to part with the cash for the carbon Geckos with velcro. I know before these came out he didn't like spikes at all. Neither did I.

They are very, very good.

I think they are expensive, but most good kit is. I don't walk around in them, I wear them up the tree and take them off when I get down. The velcro is super comfy, and never slips (unlike the leather straps I had on my Buckinghams).

If MattyF comes on here slagging them off, ignore him. He wore his out walking into pubs with them on all the time trying to impress barmaids.

They're only expensive if you have to buy them yourself. Do what I do and work for a council who pays for top of the line kit for you :thumbup:

I have an allergic reaction to my desk I'll have you know Mark :biggrin:

In all seriousness though, the carbon fibres I have are just awesome. I have an old pair of steel buckinghams in my own kit and coupled with a heavy harness you sure know you've got them on compared to the lightweight stuff. Doesn't sound like much of an issue but we all know the more gear you have to lug up a tree the harder it makes the job. I still think the leather straps over the foot could be a better design though as getting that perfect fit is difficult. The newer leather straps don't seem half as good as the older ones. Haven't tried velcro straps around the foot but I like em tight so they don't slip over my heel so not sure if they would work. And yeah, in agreement Mark, the outlay is nothing really when you think how long they last. When I looked at buying the carbons most of the spikes were all within a couple of hundred buks of each other so that made the decision easier anyway. Right, back to climbing my desk!

Ha ha, remember your flipline bro!

The difference with the carbons is the comfort, I'm sure the Distel/Gecko Allys would be the same but not much cheaper?

I'm sure ian and others would agree once you have worn them you wouldn't want to go back to steel Buckinghams etc.

Had a pair of Geckos bottom and top velcro and hated them to be honest. Found that the top strap dug into my shin a bit, and the bottom strap slipped down the shaft under my foot and was an absolute mare to get back again. Even then it had loosened and kept slipping.

I replace them with a pair of Buckingham Titanium, and wouldn't go back. Top velcro straps with the metal insert. Leather bottom strap (don't think you can get velcro for the bottom, but I could be wrong?). If you are going for velcro top straps the metal insert makes a world of difference. Comfy as.