Small boys and kindling

winchman

I might be wrong but I think this only affects multiuse pallets, I understand that arsenic is one of the chemicals.

Steve, please make a note, I would be interested in bags for next winter. Currently buy locally as I don't sell a lot, maybe thats because of the extra profit margin making me uncompetitive.

A

Would be great to supply you with kindling. We dont have minimum orders if its worth you collecting its worth us selling. I dont really know anything about pallets as we have never used them far to labour intensive. We have small village garages that sell 100 nets a week in cold weather. The big boys are just that too big. Best aim for local independants.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll make more money from kindling selling direct to the end user/public, make up some net bags then send the lad out chapping on doors locally

Oh and you'll make more money from old pallets if you actually build items out of the wood, and it's more fun :laugh1:

Sell to everyone, try everything, see what comes out on top. Pubs get through alot of kindling as they dont have time to play around with there fires and no time to cut up pallets. Local log sellers often dont have a good source and loose a good profit stream. Making a pound a bag on kindling does not seem alot until you find you are selling 500 a week and not having to make them:thumbup1: the trick is not to buy rubbish kindling for £1 a bag but then I would say that:biggrin:

Just mind, you can have fingers off with it!

Yup, second biggest scar I have is from a bowsaw. One hand on the saw, the other on the work piece .... and the saw jumps out of the cut and has a good go at my thumb. I was about 16 at the time, and it damn hurt. I'm teaching my boys to use a bow saw now and the golden rule is "both hands on the saw"! You may want to find a way of holding the pallets securely so he is not tempted to hold the pallet with one hand.

A small cut to us may mean a lost finger to a child young fingers are alot softer. Try and find a safe way. I got my worst finger injury about 6 months ago from a small jig saw. Been using big mean machines for over 20 years but did that hurt, had to put my head between my legs like a big girls blouse. The bolt on the blade squashed my finger into the case the allen head bolt went through the nail:thumbdown:

My boy is also 12. he's been chopping kindling for about 18 months.

i pay him £1.50 per net and include a net with each cube of logs we sell.

we get free off cuts of pine from a local furniture manufacturer, i cut it to 9" on the cross cut saw, and store it all in a bulk bag in the shed

he goes in fits and starts though, when he wants to buy something, he'll go out and do a load ( his best was 80 nets in a weekend). if he dosent need anything, he'll not bother.

:lol:

Iv'e often thought thoose mini woodstores wood be a good thing to make & sell from pallet wood. Iv'e seen some really shoddy ones for sale for like 80 quid or more so must be quiet a big profit in them. Loads of places seem to be seling them recently.

Iv'e made serveral deluxe ones for myself from some free wood similar to pallet planks but over twice as long.The screws & lap larch roof wasn't cheap though. Also you need a fold down tarp at the front to keep off the horizontal rain, which most ones you see for sale don't have but small tarps are cheap. Most expensive thing is the roof....

Breaking up pallets is a hassle but they make good kindling.

Tempted to buy one of theese:

http://gallerpallet+reclamation+bars+001+-+Copy+%283%29.JPG

Hello forgive me if this is stupid as I am new.

My son aged 12 has a small idea to pay for bits for his bike.

He wants me to collect wood and pallets, ( skip at works full of it)

He will cut them up and sell to shops that sell kindling.

They seam to sell a carrier bag size for £1.50 so is it a none starter, how much would he sell and what should we ask?

lord Alan Sugar started around the same age selling beetroot and look at him now, Your lad's going to go far :thumbup: