Does this make you cry!

timberbear

I've been doing just this for 12 years too!. I do take some out, but the whole 'deadwood habit' thing takes priority. Enviromentally geared arb has different objectives of course. I have started felling quite a bit of SOD/AOD oak this year, Essex is riddled with it :(

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is this also something to do with the Countryside Stewardship Schemes ?, I have a feeling that it is, at least in some of these cases where farmland is involved. Failure to comply with wrinkles such as this lead to withdrawal of annual funding, this is a significant amount of money especially when in the Higher Level Scheme ( HLS).

A

Is this also something to do with the Countryside Stewardship Schemes ?, I have a feeling that it is, at least in some of these cases where farmland is involved. Failure to comply with wrinkles such as this lead to withdrawal of annual funding, this is a significant amount of money especially when in the Higher Level Scheme ( HLS).

A

I do work at 5 big farms that are involved in s s and have never been asked to leave anything on the ground weather this is different in the higher levels i don't know but you don't see timber left on the farms that are in the higher scheme. Im sure some of the farmers on here will know or even be in HLS :001_smile:

A

we're in the HLS and our woodland advisor has never told us to fell anything and just leave it there. he is all for leaving dead wood standing (whilst safe) for as long as possible.

off the top of my head i dont think its a actual requirement for ELS or HLS managed woodlands but then i havent read the manual for 2012 yet :001_huh:

Its a requirement to leave some of the timber for agri environment from memory, so if a big tree blows down and its one that gains points in your agri environment scheme you will have to retain a quantity of timber although its not the whole tree. (i think this is from in-field/hedgerow trees rather than woodland options)

There are specific guidance for standing and falled dead wood habitat in FC guidelines, I currently think its 4trees per hecate of both types, although on sites of high nature conservation this will obviously be increased if there is some merit to doing this.

I have no issue with leaving timber for habitat, but did you leave it in pole lenght as in the first photo as in my opinion this isnt overly valuable compared to stacks, although this isnt always an option for safety reasons and if as mendip logs says this doesnt work if people are going to carry it off in short lenghts

Its a requirement to leave some of the timber for agri environment from memory, so if a big tree blows down and its one that gains points in your agri environment scheme you will have to retain a quantity of timber although its not the whole tree. (i think this is from in-field/hedgerow trees rather than woodland options)

There are specific guidance for standing and falled dead wood habitat in FC guidelines, I currently think its 4trees per hecate of both types, although on sites of high nature conservation this will obviously be increased if there is some merit to doing this.

I have no issue with leaving timber for habitat, but did you leave it in pole lenght as in the first photo as in my opinion this isnt overly valuable compared to stacks, although this isnt always an option for safety reasons and if as mendip logs says this doesnt work if people are going to carry it off in short lenghts

The woodland is part of six hundred acres of SSSI and was clear felled during the last war with some coppice work being undertaken in the 60's. The woodland has a better woodland Wales grant, if you agree to leave the timber to waste the more grant you get. The trees are processed according to how and where they come down. The top is either stacked in very neat habitat piles or cut into the ground. Cutting the top and leaving spread over a large area prevents the local mountain bikers from trashing the understory regen and also protects the bluebell beds. The woodland is very steep and strewn with large boulders. The trunks are usually left in long lengths to prevent removal and to stop them rolling (this dosnt stop the stuff near roadside being cut up). Some timber is cut into manageable lengths and stacked. Several trees will be drilled and killed using eco-plugs to provide habitat for birds such as lesser spotted wood pecker. I'm lucky I'm into conservation and tree felling so I'm left to my own devises as long as I don't deviate to much from the management plans.

There great for killing larger trees and safer to use, another good thing is you can cover the plugs so no one knows your "killing trees". We used to ring bark and apply roundup, but this could only be done certain times of the year. The plugs are great on bigger stumps but when treating multiple smaller stumps we still treat with roundup. There great near water ESP when treating alder and willow. The plug contains a powder which dissolves into the tree, great where you got members of the public. They also save on mixing chemical so saves time and storage and transportation are easier.

As far as treating standing trees this is only the second year we have used them, I found on some semi mature beech that only one side of the tree died which was great but they knock sycamore well and truly out. The only downside is eventually when all the stumps rot away the countryside will be littered with little White plugs!