Does this make you cry!

timberbear

Put about sixty ton on the deck over the last few days. It's all lovely ash, sycamore, hornbeam and beech. It's all got to stay for it's bio-diversity value ie it's bug food! I think by the end of the week the only creatures consuming it will be those pesky timber vultures!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326740420.817386.jpg.307aaa943d9b4d9764c5ee4f3b5b164a.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326740378.181949.jpg.a13663909485ea24533c49d5604dce3e.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It does not make me cry but it annoys me to an extent - there is a "reserve" near us which I am told operates a similar policy i.e. nothing gets sold and everything stays as "habitat".

Thing is these folks are then holding out their hands for grant money and donations!

There is surely a middle road - keep the non marketable stuff & whatever else you need & sell what you can.

We certainly keep all lop and top, leave standing deadwood if possible otherwise deadwood is shortwooded and piled - we do not leave good timber to rot - that is not what it was grown for!

Cheers

mac

Put about sixty ton on the deck over the last few days. It's all lovely ash, sycamore, hornbeam and beech. It's all got to stay for it's bio-diversity value ie it's bug food! I think by the end of the week the only creatures consuming it will be those pesky timber vultures!

can you not take it and dump a load of conny logs in its place :001_tt2:

It does not make me cry but it annoys me to an extent - there is a "reserve" near us which I am told operates a similar policy i.e. nothing gets sold and everything stays as "habitat".

Thing is these folks are then holding out their hands for grant money and donations!

There is surely a middle road - keep the non marketable stuff & whatever else you need & sell what you can.

We certainly keep all lop and top, leave standing deadwood if possible otherwise deadwood is shortwooded and piled - we do not leave good timber to rot - that is not what it was grown for!

Cheers

mac

Im a Contract/Freelance climber for 2 local Conservation Trusts and we do just that on the reserves i work on,ie dead standing wood is left, young good wood is either used as fuel etc for our Eco freindly office/workshop/volunteer centre,or sold to local power station, good clean brash is chipped and sold as bio fuel. Its only the naturaly dead stuff thats left as Habitat. The trust i work for has been doing that for a couple of years and theres always plenty of Tree's etc for everyone

criminal that! we're currently restoring an old Farm Orchard and the advisor has been very good to us. Any decent weed trees coming out are being kept for firewood (sycamore and some thorn), stuff we dont want is (elder and small willow) is being cut to length and then stacked for creatures to make home. We have been encouraged to bring in dead wood from else where on the farm if we want more dead wood on the floor in the Orchard

This goes on a lot around us. Farmers on leased land are instructed to leave any fallen trees. There are 5 or 6 veteran ash trees on the ground within 2 miles of me left to rot. I accept the argument for biodiversity etc. but there has to be some consideration that this is good fuel / timber.

My view is that these people want to have their cake and eat it. We don't live in a natural forest and they want to drive their cars to the council office and have the central heating on when they get home but they are happy to bang out some random rule about wasting a vast human resource. Sure, keep some of the wood back to rot as most of us wit woodlands do anyway. I usually keep anything in between brash and logs and stack it between a couple hazel sticks to form a rot pile for the bugs.

Letting a whole might ash, oak or any big tree to rot will surely be seen as insanity in the future.