Dog advice

Stephen Blair

That dog drove me nuts for years ,:laugh1: running off, escaping out the van, locking me out the van, chewing through the seatbelts, stealing my sandwiches, finding his way into tescos and getting carried out by the security guard, getting stuck in a snare for 3 hours while I hunted everywhere for him .:blushing:

The list off adventures I had with the dug is never ending, I nearly chipped him 1 might with a 12" Jensen when he chased a stick into the hopper!:001_

Or the night he escaped with the foxy, he walked home and the foxy came home in an ice cream van:lol:

Good times

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my sympathies steve.

I have done it many times twice 2 years ago i had my dogs put to sleep in the space of 2 weeks tottaly wreaked me but im proud that i gave those dogs a fab life and ive now 4 border collies i would never be without a dog ever.

You made a decision that was correct in my view he had a good life and was a good age thoughts with you and family.

That dog drove me nuts for years ,:laugh1: running off, escaping out the van, locking me out the van, chewing through the seatbelts, stealing my sandwiches, finding his way into tescos and getting carried out by the security guard, getting stuck in a snare for 3 hours while I hunted everywhere for him .:blushing:

The list off adventures I had with the dug is never ending, I nearly chipped him 1 might with a 12" Jensen when he chased a stick into the hopper!:001_

Or the night he escaped with the foxy, he walked home and the foxy came home in an ice cream van:lol:

Good times

So sorry for your your loss, Stevie, but you know for sure you did the best for your friend. Keep those good times in mind when you let him run that one last time in the hills. :001_smile:

I feel for anyone who has to go through this, having been there a few times and I know it is the right decision, its still not easy. Found this poem some months ago and though very sad I think it sums it up of what we have to do no matter how hard. You will have made the right decision.

If it should be that I grow frail and weak

And pain should keep me from my sleep

Then you must do what must be done

for this battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand

Don’t let your grief then stay your hand

For this day, more than all the rest

Your love and friendship stands the test

We’ve had those nine years

What is to come holds no fear

Would you want me to suffer so

When the time comes, let me go

Take me where my needs they’ll tend

Only stay with me to the end

And hold me firm and speak to me

Until my eyes no longer see

I know in time that you will see

It is kindness that you do to me

Although my tail it’s last has waived

From pain and suffering I’ve been saved

Don’t grieve if it should be you

Who must decide this thing to do

We’ve been so close we two these years

Don’t let your heart hold any tears

--

I had to make the decision today after a consultation with the vets, Rudi went into a fit and collapsed while the vets were there, so he made the decision for me.

He was put to sleep, and is now chasing bunnies in a meadow in the sky.

I thought I could take him in the van and bury him myself but I couldn't, so he is going to be privately cremated and we will spread his ashes at his favourite spot up the hills.

Sorry to hear Stevie, know where you're at as we were in a similar place a couple of months ago. Remember the good times.