Self-Employed or Contractual

Tree-Fela

After this week and requesting work i have had a few yes for work and i have been told i have to go self-employed to complete work with them. i am just wondering is it worth going self-employed or working for a corpy, i am swaying towards going self emplyed but people who i know are telling me not to so just wondering if anyone could help me out and give me some decent advice.

Thanks

Tree-Fela

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh thats what i keep but ano i shouldnt listen to other people but what if the work drys up being self-employed where as in full-time employment your guarenteed work.

Am just weighing the pro's and con's but am finding being self-emplyoed more profitable and more indepedance.

Tree-Fela

As you know, self-employed makes you a lot more flexible which is good if you are confident of finding more work from other sources.

However, self-employed status carries a number of other risks/downsides. It is much harder to get a mortgage if you are not an 'employee', particularly in the first 3 years. Also, if your work dries up it can be difficult to claim JSA if you ever needed to (which I hope you don't!).

It's a tricky decision to make so don't rush in to anything and do your research!

But in todays world no one is really guaranteed work are they, its just the companies that i phoned and that phoned me most of them generally said i would need to be self-employed thats why am thinking should i do it because its offering me work which is now and i can take it instead of asking round all the big companies and getting knocked back because of lack of experience of what ever. Am more for going self employed because as you say your free to do what ever and i have got other certifications in other fields eg mini digger license but its not what i want to do thats a back up as johnnyboy said.

Thanks for the advice

Tree-Fela

most firms will add a self employed bloke to their list of people they can call in for the odd job (wether a day or a month) when they need an extra hand rather than taking someone on the books, investing in them and risking having to lay them off again.

the employer may have to pay you slightly more than employed staff but they dont have to buy you ppe, uniform, climbing gear or tools etc etc.

the up for you is you get paid more per day - but you may not get 5 days a week all year and you have more outgoings (tools ppe etc).

times are tough and a lot of firms are being cautious - If no one will take on in your area then go SE - you can always keep an eye out with one of the firms you work with for FT employment.