Firewood Watch

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

Seeing the large amount of firewood that is stolen from hard working small business perhaps a "Firewood Watch" might be a good idea. The Police and local councils take it much more serious if a group of people approach them with concerns and often monies are available to help with catching thieves and securing/marking property including chainsaws.

I was in the local farm watch and this did help with the issue of diesel/bales vanishing. I do not want to mention more details on an open forum.:001_rolleyes:

There are two sorts of people that steal firewood from personal harsh experience and talking to the crime prevention teams.

1. The Public:- This is often during normal working times and weekends when the firm is closed and having purchased a wood stove think firewood should be available free as the tree firm has been paid for felling the trees and the wood is waste materials.

2. Professional Thieves:- These steal the wood both in a length form and in bulk sacks for sale direct to wholesalers and the public through small adverts.

After seeing all the threads about firewood theft, I just thought as one log looks like another, identifying your stolen woood would be a challenge. Would it be possible to modify a processor/splitter so that it stamped a company name or logo on the logs? Even if it just marked the logs in an identifyable way it could be good enough.

Would an 'honest' person think twice buying cheap logs from a van if they were identifyably from a different company?

Following on from that, maybe just for the bigger guys, 'branded' logs may be useful for marketing.

Just a thought from working in a different industry.

I've got a couple of geese loose in the yard and I've got there drinking water near the field gate, anyone jumps over and they make one hell of a racket, which in turn winds the chickens up which then starts the dogs off! One dark evening it was all kicking of so fearing the worse I discharged three cartridges into the night sky, no signs of any sly foxes around the next day! It's always good to offer your local bobby a cheap load of logs cause they always call in to see how things are. Try joining your local farm watch group.

Heating oil is also commonly stolen from country houses, none of the authorities seem to bothered.

We have a mini crime wave going on round here at present, farms being done most nights. It is known that 2 ***** brothers are responsible but the Police wont touch them, just issuing a crime number is easier.

A few weeks ago they came across a drilled field of wheat and knocked a hole in a breeze block wall to get at the equipment inside, they building was alarmed and they set the alarm off once they got inside.

A

:001_smile: That was why i was wondering if the processor could do it automatically with a die of some form.

It's done with eggs by the million so I don't see why it couldn't be done with logs. As with anything new outlay would be high but if someone's producing enough logs...

But that all has to be weighed up against the number being stolen: the chances are that if that many are getting lifted there's a major security problem best sorted by means other than stamping firewood.

But the original suggestion's not as daft as it may seem.