Where to go and what to buy??

SAW

Hi all,

I'm about to take my CS30 and CS31. And need to buy the kit for the courses.

Can someone give me some advice on what make of kit i should go for and the best place to buy from???

I will have to buy the whole lot as i have nothing of my own yet....

Thank you for your time.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try some of the guys advertising on the banner to the right of the page. I have personally bought from F R Jones and Treeworker and would recommend both - they should have everything you need.

If you can, try as much kit as you can before purchasing so you buy right first time.

Try some of the guys advertising on the banner to the right of the page. I have personally bought from F R Jones and Treeworker and would recommend both - they should have everything you need.

If you can, try as much kit as you can before purchasing so you buy right first time.

Definately find out if your training provider will supply all the kit to do the course and then it will give you a good idea of perhaps what you like of don't like regarding saw choice or different types of PPE available so you make the right purchases as mistertee said. It costs so much to buy this kit don't buy what you don't need or regret a purchase later!

Give us call 'SAW'. Students get 'student discount' at Honey Brothers. Just need to know which college and your student number.

Always here to help the 'Budding Arborists' get started.

i maybe long in the tooth but i'm a student of the school of hard knocks,do i too qualify for this "budding" discount?..................................probably not :sad:

Unit CS30 – Maintain & Operate the Chainsaw

Unit CS31 – Fell and Process Small Trees

Recommended Equipment Required for the Training & Assessment

Chainsaw Maximum recommended guidebar length 380mm (15”)

Must meet current Health and Safety Regulations

Chain must be in good condition – with no missing parts. Refer to ‘AFAG Guide 301’

To allow for a realistic demonstration of maintenance and correct sharpening procedure, chain requiring sharpening should be used for assessment of CS30.

Cutters must be of sufficient length to allow for sharpening

Fuel / Oil Mix – in suitable container (combi can)

Bio-degradable Chain oil (Stihl BioPlus, Cat No: 0781 516 3007, or equivalent) – in suitable container (combi can)

Grease and grease gun if required

Maintenance tools Combination spanner

Guide bar cleaner

Round file for cutter sharpening

File guide (roller or other)

Flat file

Depth gauge setting tool

Clean brush for air filter

One other brush / rags for cleaning the machine

Product information and operator’s manual

Feeler gauge for spark plug

Field vice

Personal Protective Equipment Chainsaw Boots*

Chainsaw Trousers* (no damage to blocking material)

Chainsaw Gloves* (work gloves for maintenance)

*These should bear the chainsaw logo and show the chain speed to which they have been tested

Helmet, with suitable eye and ear protection

Hand cleaner or wet wipes

Personal First Aid Kit (including large wound dressing)

Tape measure (optional)

Felling Felling bar – must have a hook for turning a tree

Felling wedge (optional)

Lifting tongs / hooks (optional)

I think that's all of it. I'm paying for the whole lot myself and it's a week long course not a collage course.

Thanks for your time.

Dont bother with the tongs or tape measure, but a wedge may be useful and they are pretty cheap.

For a saw, I recommend a Stihl Ms 240 or 260. That will come with a maintenance kit with some of the stuff you need, a sharpening kit will cover most of the other small tools on the list, except the feeler gauge and the field vice. You wont need the grease gun either.

Bio oil is pretty expensive, I would either buy veg oil from a supermarket or mineral oil from a saw shop, I doubt they will check. You can buy a small single measure of 2 stroke oil that will mix 5 litres of petrol, that should be enough for the course.

As far as PPE goes, I would buy fairly basic but make sure it is comfortable and it fit properly. The Stein boots are ok, Sip or Stihl hiflex trousers. A Husqvarna helmet is fine for ground work.

Chainsaw gloves, buy cheap as you probably wont use them after your assessment.

There is nothing on that list that wont be useful at some point, but if you can use the college's kit, even if you have to pay a bit more, it is probably worth it. Once you've used all the gear, you'll have a much better idea about what you really want to buy yourself.