lock jack, spider jack, vt?

Will Ayers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, never used srt but do understand how it works

I think its better for overall immediate access especially in bigger trees plus there seems to be more variation when up in the tree adn being able to use ddrt from srt

still, it'll be a while before i consider swapping over, stuck in the ddrt ways:biggrin:

going to get a sj at some point though, then we'll see where it goes from there:thumbup:

Yes .....for me compared to a vt it does not offer the same control descending in a working enviromeny ....great for ascending,coming back in and no sit back.. But have found it in smaller trees to be a pain also even worse when the rope is soaked it becomes even less fluid... Like I said I think it's nice in big open spaced trees.

Maybe one day I think it will click but I find it hard to coordinate the wooden stopper and front whilst hanging with a saw in an awkward position far easier and controlled with a hitch for me any way.

Out of interest I see joe is using a swivel does any body else and do you find it keeps the Sj in a central easy to use position?

so today was the first day with the SJ Steve has loaned me. i had a pair of beech trees to reduce by 30% the first one was fairly big and wide spreading :thumbup1: and the second one was smaller and really congested in the crown. :thumbdown:

i had a nice long ascent to my first anchor point and really appreciated how smooth running the Spider Jack is on ascent, there after i had another 10ft or so to get to my top anchor and it did bug me a bit that you have to fiddle with that bit of Velcro every time you change over, but soon realised that you needn't bother with it if its only a short distance before the next changeover.

on the way out to my first lateral i had a few difficulties, i found it jerky and imprecise and rather unnerving :blushing: i also found it alot easier to operate with my right hand than with my left. i also found that i was using my glove more than the wooden brake and frequently smelled the burning rubber (cost of gloves now weighing on my mind??)

but as the job wore on i did get the hang of it by the time a came out for tea at 10 i had got alot more confidence in the smooth use of it. the SJ in conjunction with the art rope-guide is a joy to work with. i still find that it is easier to operate with my right hand where as the VT is a completely ambidextrous thing

so all in all, having tried it for a day, i have a good idea as to the application and use of a SJ. i will keep on using it for a couple of weeks. will i buy one? well for me, the benefits are struggling to outweigh the cost so far, but i will persevere and let you all know how i get on over the next few weeks

oh and both reductions looked amazing.... even if i do say so myself!! :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Choices choices. First fly on the SJ today and it wasn't as difficult to set up or use as I had imagined. Do I like it? Hell yeah. Ascending the tree, especially with a foot pantin on, was way easy. What do I think of it so far for working off? Well, having had a brief go on the rope wrench the other day I reckon the RW is a better working tool if you can swap over to working srt. Personally I think I'm going to end up using both (once I get a better grip off them) depending on the situation.

59765f7bd7747_2012-01-18001032.jpg.3861090cec264fd03becaa83f75619db.jpg

Choices choices. First fly on the SJ today and it wasn't as difficult to set up or use as I had imagined. Do I like it? Hell yeah. Ascending the tree, especially with a foot pantin on, was way easy. What do I think of it so far for working off? Well, having had a brief go on the rope wrench the other day I reckon the RW is a better working tool if you can swap over to working srt. Personally I think I'm going to end up using both (once I get a better grip off them) depending on the situation.

Told you so!:001_rolleyes: