Crane hire issues and rant

silvafox

I,m very dis-satisfied with a crane hire company we used recently. Last time I used this firm was 2005, they charged me £450 per day for a 50T back then. They obviously did'nt remember me and on this occasion tried it on for £780 per day for a 20T !!!!! Back in 2005 20T cranes were £280 per day.

The price hike they said was due to stricter regs that now determine an appointed competent person, with a qualification in crane lift planning must undertake a lift plan and risk assessment prior to works commencing.

Once I picked myself up off the floor I said the job could stand £600 and we cut a deal, on a contract lift basis.

Day of the job comes, they dont show on time. After a phonecall from me they arrive at 10 am.

They did not undertake a lift plan or risk assessment.

I selected from my own lolered slings and the day was hard but unfolded sweetly enough with myself co-ordinating theclimber, crane oppo and ground crew.

By 4.30 half a dozen large sycamores where cut to stump, lifted out of a ravine, slewed over a driveway and corded and chipped.

I take my hat off to all the lads.

I now think that this particular firm is using the BS7121 and CPA Best Practice guides in a way that is somewhat dishonest in order to get more money out of unwitting tree surgeons like me.

From what I can gather it comes down to the lift type. If a lift is 'basic', then the hirer, providing they are 'competent' may simply carry out a risk assessment and method statement. I believe our job and every lift would be defined as basic.

If a lift type is 'standard' or 'complex' then a qualified appointed person should undertake a lift plan. The course to get this qualification is about £1500 or so I'm told.

Bear in mind that a 400T lift over a chemical factory by a river is complex, then am I wrong to define a 0.2 - 2 T lift over an empty drive way, within easy reach of the over capable crane on good firm level ground as 'basic'.

I'm not overhappy and I've got them to concede to £500 as they were late.

Can anyone recommend a good arb experienced crane hire company that at least have a grain of humanity and positive work ethic?

Silvafox, try Bob francis crane hire, based up in chester. They might be a little out of your way, but I have nothing but praise for their older, experienced crane operators.

Last hire I had off them was a brand new 45 tonner (2 axle) for £400 including the whole lift on their insurance.

Good guys to deal with.

Thanks Mr Ed. Chester might be close enough for crane hire purposes.

Although, I'm not really knocking the operator on this occasion. Although when he turned up he said we would no way do it all in a day and we had the baby fed, bathed and fast asleep by 4:30.

Thanks Mr Ed. Chester might be close enough for crane hire purposes.

Although, I'm not really knocking the operator on this occasion. Although when he turned up he said we would no way do it all in a day and we had the baby fed, bathed and fast asleep by 4:30.

Nice one. You should always manage an early finish if you have a crane on site:001_smile:

Best thing about Bob Francis is that they will put contract hire on their own insurance for a 10% fee.

Thanks to all replies! All helpful and insightful.

I think essentially we need to be able to confidently define what is a 'basic', 'standard' or 'complex' lift type. In order to acknowledge 'lift plan' versus 'method statement and risk assessment' necessity.

I would also express imo that in respect of tree work that no amount of crane lift courses and qualifications can undermine the opinion and planning of an experienced and competent climbing arborist. Crane operator and climber must agree on everything.

Before anyone goes rushing into hiring a crane on CPA conditions or any form of 'hire only' agreement you should really check your insurance, especially 'hired in plant'.

As if there is an accident and even the crane operator is at fault, on CPA condtitions its the hirer who will normally be held liable.

I know it costs more but unless you are doing a very easy pick its better to go for 'contract lift' and leave the method statement, lift plan to their 'appionted person'. most larger clients will insist on it.

I've found costs can vary from £300 for a 50 tonner 'CPA' to £1800 for the same crane and operator for a 'contract lift'.

The latter was a sunday with the tree to be dismanlted in Durham train station in proximity to the station platform and overhead lines, alngside the public footpath, I gave them their money on that one as I didn't want any sleepless nights leading up to the job.