Crane hire issues and rant

silvafox

Before anyone goes rushing into hiring a crane on CPA conditions or any form of 'hire only' agreement you should really check your insurance, especially 'hired in plant'.

As if there is an accident and even the crane operator is at fault, on CPA condtitions its the hirer who will normally be held liable.

I know it costs more but unless you are doing a very easy pick its better to go for 'contract lift' and leave the method statement, lift plan to their 'appionted person'. most larger clients will insist on it.

I've found costs can vary from £300 for a 50 tonner 'CPA' to £1800 for the same crane and operator for a 'contract lift'.

The latter was a sunday with the tree to be dismanlted in Durham train station in proximity to the station platform and overhead lines, alngside the public footpath, I gave them their money on that one as I didn't want any sleepless nights leading up to the job.

Good Point - I heard of a tree surgeon being bankrupted by a crane hire company screwing up on a job.

Like I said, My usuall crane company will do me contract hire but for 10% extra charge they agree to insure the job. Works out a lot cheaper than contract lift.

I did a small crane job in july,we had a 60 ton on site for 4 hours removing a Raintree over a classroom,total bill $1060 aus dollars,i wanted to use a 30 ton but it was out of town on that day,so we got stuck with the bigger crane.

what peed me off was that at the end of the job when the crane moved it had leaked out a good 60 litre of oil on a gravel driveway,and we then had too take out said dirt and re gravel,crane companys response' we thought we had fixed that' and nothing else