Help me with your quitting smoking success stories!

samthescam

Right I need a little help now fellas. I've gone from 60 a day to none, I started it as a new years resolution and my stubbornness won't let me give up. So I've done nearly 48 hours done. Just need some words of wisdom cos I'm going through a bit of hell at the moment.

Similarly if anyone else is giving up at the moment feel free to post. Im already working out what I'm going to get with the money I'll be saving.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done so far, great effort.

I tried a few times with varying degrees of success. Then realised that I had to have the right reason to give up to deliver the conviction that was needed.

Waited a few months until my first born was due, then gave up the day of his birth. It seemed appropriate, haven't had a smoke for 8 & half years now :001_smile:

You really have to want to do this.

Best of luck.

Keep us updated with how you're getting on :thumbup1:

It is the first week I found hardest from then on it gets easier and easier. Not smoked now for over 13 years, gave up when my daughter was born.

Anyone can give up smoking, they just need to want to.

I was a personal trainer for many years and the best success story i had was with Radio DJ Jonnie Walker ! He was on 80 a day for 20 years !

Basically when you say 'giving up' or quitting, you've got the wrong attitude as you feel deprived ! you need to remember its your choice not to smoke ! so...you need to keep a full pack and a lighter on you at all times ! you can have a cigarette at any time its YOUR CHOICE....best choose not too but its up to you !

give it a go and go day to day ! one day you will be free but remember - now your a smoker for ever... you just need to become a non-practicing one @ good luck !

Best of luck,

I gave up 30 a day on August bank holiday 2010 after having a heart attack at the age of 34 totally down to smoking.

Sixteen months later and i could still kill for one now. Its hard, ive put on a stone in the time but i would rather carry that round with me than a pack of fags and a lighter and end up in hospital again.

Lots of interesteding stuff here. Psychologically I can see what's being said about carrying around a packet with a lighter. But I'm human and if they are there when I'm weak I'll probably fail. I'm done with inhaling toxins into my lungs and spending nearly 20 quid a day for the pleasure.

Last year I gave up the (very) extreme way, I left all the cig butts I had for a week in a little tupperware tub full of water, than had a little sip. Trust me, you won't want one again.

This year I'm getting fitter by doing the again extreme P90X scheme, looks pretty intense, I 'm starting next week.

Best of luck Sam, i have never smoked mainly cause i think I would get addicted far too easily.

In my late teens I decided to give up playing fruit machines, I'd got addicted to them. Best thing I did to help me was putting all the pound coins in a jar I would of otherwise put in the fruity. God the money soon racked up. Now I have a long term girlfriend, 2 businesses and an expensive hobby (enduro racing) and I really cant throw my money away anymore on an addiction!