hi there im new

bulklog

all the best and happy new year to all !!!!!

as the title says im new to arb talk, looks really good and informative, im after some advise (probably been done before, but i cant find it ).

we need to buy a processor there are 4 of us in the business (2nd year)and its getting to the stage where we need a processor, now i dont like the idea of sharpening chains all the time,

i do like the look of the posch processor and the palax one where the blade moves to the log not moving the log to the blade type,

my question ,

before spemding my hard earned,,,

which processor is best really pros and cons of owning one please. any 2nd hand ones going reasonable price???

many thanks

steve

Edited by bulklog

Welcome to the forum,

I wouldnt be put off by the prospect of sharpening chains on a chainsaw processor. What you have to bear in mind is, the chain isnt being driven by a little 50cc engine, but likely a 50hp+ tractor.....meaning unless the saw is proper blunt you wont really notice a huge difference in the cutting performance, the chain will still cut fine even when its a little dull. I used to have a hakki pilke 1x37 and would rarely have to stop and sharpen over the course of a full day.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a small JAPA 700, rotary blade but smaller than those you are probably looking at. I put about 130 cu meters of mainly soft cord through mine last spring/summer, only needed to sharpen the blade once although it does now really need doing again.

Output with one man using a loader to load a log rack is about 2 cu m per hour given a cross section of cord diameter from about 50mm through to about 300mm or sometimes a shade more. It goes best with cord 150-250mm dia.

I bought mine used from Fuelwood, they are a decent set up and have been pretty helpful. Cost was under 6k with rack.

I suppose it just depends what sort of volume you are looking to process and sell over what period, no point in having a machine that will do 25 cube an hour if you sell 100 cube a year unless to have some profits to loose.

A

we have been for a demo of the halki pike one and that seems a good tool.

we are looking for a secondhand machine really for about 4 grand we will consider a chain saw type but would prefer something like the posch or the palax where the rotary blade moves to the wood rather than move the log as the jappa 700,

but beggars cant be choosers,

anyone got a secondhand machine for sale?

thanks for the replys guys ,

steve

I bought a Palax KS 35 last year and have been very pleased with it. I did a lot of research beforehand and viewed a lot of machines and for the money I am pleased with what I got.

I doubt very much if you would get a used Posch for four grand. Give Jim at Caladonian Forestry a ring, he may have some second hand Palax machines in.

I have a palax ks35 and very happy with it, beauty of having chains is can swap them as they become blunt but won't save a great deal of time that way. Like already said get in touch with Jim at caledonian forestry he will give you help and advice where needed. Welcome to the forum.

we have

a hakkie 1x37 easy [full hydraulics] (bar & chain) a very good machine

a japa saw bench 700 i think (circ' Saw blade & screw splitter ) good for smaller lengths

a mulitpla 8t petrol splitter which is really handy verstile thing

& just had delivered a pto 20T splitter I have had made, going to get the guys to try that owt tommos

might sell the hakkie but its not even a year old so 4k wont buy it

Edited by Yorkshireman