Ive hit a wall

YoGi_93

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wobbly moments do happen,its quite natural,just take on climbs you are comfy with,& build it up,if you can climb with a mate it helps get you going.

If one tree gives you a bad feeling climb others until you feel ready to take that one on,then when you have done it,and with confidence,you are seeing progress.

Wobbly moments do happen,its quite natural,just take on climbs you are comfy with,& build it up,if you can climb with a mate it helps get you going.

If one tree gives you a bad feeling climb others until you feel ready to take that one on,then when you have done it,and with confidence,you are seeing progress.

Personally I think this is really bad advice, this fear is nonsense, if you give in to it you will never move forward.

You need to educate yourself to the facts that you are safe, your rope cannot let you fall, its not possible.

Being in a rope and harness is not dangerous, its scary yes but thats all in your head.

Be proud, don't give in to the fear, keep telling yourself that its just your mind trying to fool you that your in danger, because your not. You need to be master of your mind, not the other way round, don't be a slave to your fears.

Before long you'll be loving it, the higher the better:thumbup1:

You need to educate yourself to the facts that you are safe, your rope cannot let you fall, its not possible.

Being in a rope and harness is not dangerous, its scary yes but thats all in your head.

Strictly speaking that's not true. Just because you have a rope and harness on doesn't mean 'you will never fall'. People do fall and it is dangerous. A long swing can break your neck, a seemingly sound branch which you choose to anchor onto could have serious rot which isn't evident from below. There are any number of things which can go badly wrong, it pays to be cautious, at least when starting out.

When you've been doing it longer, you just accept there are risks and you just have to get on with it because that's the job!

Saying bluntly - you will never fall, it is impossible - is a bit daft.

Strictly speaking that's not true. Just because you have a rope and harness on doesn't mean 'you will never fall'. People do fall and it is dangerous. A long swing can break your neck, a seemingly sound branch which you choose to anchor onto could have serious rot which isn't evident from below. There are any number of things which can go badly wrong, it pays to be cautious, at least when starting out.

When you've been doing it longer, you just accept there are risks and you just have to get on with it because that's the job!

Saying bluntly - you will never fall, it is impossible - is a bit daft.

:001_rolleyes:okay so there is always a possibility of falling, especially if you are carrying a cutting tool and manage to get a rope or your harness bridge:001_huh: but at your stage as long as you are tied in to a bit of wood thicker than your wrist and don't go mad doing big swings (which i doubt you'll do) and either don't carry a cutting tool or just be extremely careful with it, there is very little that can go wrong.

you have already showed the ability to get up a tree! when teaching people to climb i get in the tree with them and set targets out on the end of limbs, like slings (or their wallet!) and this gives them something to focus on. if your having a real wobble i would systematically go through all the logic behind the system you are climbing in, reminding yourself of how strong it all is!

climb safe and climb long!:thumbup:

I meant accidental swing from a long open branch walk.:001_smile:

I agree with Will. Little can go wrong, but don't think for a minute it's impossible.

:blushing: thats, my point really, at his stage the last thing he needs to be thinking every minute of the climb is the million ways in which he can die! he needs to think of the safest way of doing things yes but without the fear of god stopping his every move!