The finest Western movie ever made.

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it’s a good thing we beat the Luftwaffe off with a few spitfires (and not in any small part Adolfs ineptitude) or we would all be saying du cannst mich mal……….. rather than kiss my ……….

The identity of these isles has changed several times over the years, the Romans the Scandinavians the Normans, our speech, language, genes and place names are all the product and evidence of various waves of invasion.

I grew up in the 70's when Clint was king. I think he's great, but John Wayne was my western hero. My favorites include:

The searchers (probably his finest acting, totally unlike most of his other films) Red River, another great western.

She wore a yellow ribbon (watch out for another great western actor in there, Ben Johnson, a real life cowboy and rodeo champion. Later to win an oscar in the last picture show, also in The wild Bunch)

Rio Bravo, a Howard Hawks classic. Watch out for stumpy played by the great walter brennon.

The man who shot liberty valance. Made in black and white. starring wayne and james stewart.

Stagecoach: wayne's big break. Made in 1939, it launched wayne in to the big time. Before stagecoach Wayne had mad dozens of b western churned out in a few weeks, without getting his big break. Although, in 1930 he had his first starring role in the big trail, he had to wait another 9 years for super stardom.

Many of the John Ford directed westerns feature the same actors. These were known as the john ford rolling stock company. Many appeared in wayne's films as well. For example, ward Bond, Ben Johnson, Bruce cabot (king kong) John Agar, Harry Carey Jn

Typical john wayne westerns worth a watch include:The war wagon: the comancheros (great music from elmer bernstein, composer of the magnificent seven ) Chisholm (full of regular John Wayne sidekicks) Rio lobo is another typical wayne western in the mould of rio bravo

The same off-screen names also appear time and time again in wayne films eg James edward grant, waynes favourate writer. the composer elmer bernstein, directors Howard Hawks, Henry Hathaway, Andrew V Mclaglen, and of course his mentor John Ford.

Not John Wayne, but Bad day at black rock with spencer tracy is a modern day (late 1940's early 1950's) western and well worth a watch.

Well it’s a good thing we beat the Luftwaffe off with a few spitfires (and not in any small part Adolfs ineptitude) or we would all be saying du cannst mich mal……….. rather than kiss my ……….

The identity of these isles has changed several times over the years, the Romans the Scandinavians the Normans, our speech, language, genes and place names are all the product and evidence of various waves of invasion.

As i said in a thread last week Hitler could have taken Britain in !940 when Britain were at their weakest and Germany at their peak of their powers, but Hitler pulled out of an invasion, instead he knew he had bigger fish to fry,"Russia", hence keeping his troops for that.

As i said in a thread last week Hitler could have taken Britain in !940 when Britain were at their weakest and Germany at their peak of their powers, but Hitler pulled out of an invasion, instead he knew he had bigger fish to fry,"Russia", hence keeping his troops for that.

I disagree, the RAF had not been obliterated and the Royal Navy was at that point the worlds largest. An attempted invasion would have been disasterous for Germany. Yes Britain was at it's weakest point

Oh Christ don’t start that again, the fact that we beat off the last wave of enforced change doesn’t mean our identity hasn’t changed over the years

I disagree, the RAF had not been obliterated and the Royal Navy was at that point the worlds largest. An attempted invasion would have been disasterous for Germany. Yes Britain was at it's weakest point

In the event of the invasion, I know who my money would be on,..I wouldn;t bet against the Germans.