Selling THE BULK BAG

Logarithm

Speaking as an ex-customer (I do my own wood since we started using it as our only source of heating) customers only think of weight and price. We have no idea how much weight water adds to wet wood and volumetric measurements like a cubic metre are pretty much meaningless. However, we all know how big a builders bag is, and we all know it weighs a ton when it's full. You're wasting your time trying to educate people because we know it all and we're not going to be ripped off by one of you lot selling us wood that was free anyway. I mean, look, the stuff grows by the side of the road, doesn't it?:blushing:

they might weigh a ton full of sand or chippings but not logs

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they might weigh a ton full of sand or chippings but not logs

I know that. My point is that the average customer doesn't, though, and isn't likely to believe anyone who says that it doesn't. Customers understand weight but do not understand volume or density. It's common folklore that a builders bag is a ton bag and it's probably a lost battle to educate people otherwise.

I sell by the cube only

I price by the cube but sell in whatever quantity they want; nets, bags, tonne bags, trailer loads.... etc etc but I show them at the door how the price is calculated. For some it educates, for others I still get into "discussions" of who's trailer load is the cheapest. :confused1:

Been to 2 new stove shops around here in the last 6 months and both of them asked how much for a ton, didnt really know anything about firewood. explained i sold it in a cubic metre and thats what alot of people are now selling and explained what that ment and told him the price and the approx weight of a cubic metre of beech and he then still said well i know a guy that is selling it for £50 a ton so your very expensive! I heard the other shop telling a customer that only buy wood off certainly wood and if hes not using the stove just on weekends dont worry about buying a big load just buy the 7kg bags that the shop sells for £10! So if the stove shops dont have a clue the customers have no chance!

I've been thinking the same thing about also having builders bulk bags (0.65 cube) as an option. I could then do a mixed bag for £55-00.... But the .065 cube bags are almost the same price as the cube bags...

A tricky one as I'd like to stick to my guns with the cubic meter bags but educating the public how volume relates to price is proving a very uphill battle.....

Yep... it's a tricky one alright :sneaky2:

Its all supply and demand. Last year if you could supply you could demand what you wanted. This year we have used a 1/4 of the fuel we did by same time last year in our house people are short of money and the money they had for logs will go to paying of the credit card unless we have a long cold snap. I would imagine alot of yards are like ours stuffed to the gunnels with cord.