England

Mike Hill

I know what you mean, but Russia was in total panic stations for the first 6 months of Germany invading, suffering catastrophic defeats in every shape and form, the wehrmacht were on the rampage, and moral was high.

As for churchill going bust...... its the 1st thing that came into my head to put in the post. true story though.

Cheers.

Stalin could afford to let Germany over run all of that land with no way to control what one occupies, he played Hitler for the fool due to his ego and the German General Staff sold out the German people long before Stalingrad. A few brave German officers tried and failed to stop Hitler. And finally I will be able to go to sleep knowing why in part this thread was started.

easy-lift guy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oversexed, overpaid and over here.......

The US may have been "slow" to step in, but what it lacked in timing it made up for in pure war machine might and japanese ass kicking power. I cant see how they could have been stopped without the USA.

The allies including Britain and the USSR became incredibly reliant of US made goods, from corn to fighter bombers. Over 20,000 sherman tanks were delivered to commonwealth and soviet forces. They made well over 2 million army trucks. The war against rommels forces probably would have been lost without US equipment including the lee and sherman tanks and the tanker the SS Ohio which supplied Malta with critical supplies of fuel for its subs and aircraft.

I think we as commonwealth nations are to quick to dismiss the great sacrifice the US did make, and to underestimate the great importance they had to the defeat of the axis powers.

:thumbup1:

Oversexed, overpaid and over here.......

The US may have been "slow" to step in, but what it lacked in timing it made up for in pure war machine might and japanese ass kicking power. I cant see how they could have been stopped without the USA.

The allies including Britain and the USSR became incredibly reliant of US made goods, from corn to fighter bombers. Over 20,000 sherman tanks were delivered to commonwealth and soviet forces. They made well over 2 million army trucks. The war against rommels forces probably would have been lost without US equipment including the lee and sherman tanks and the tanker the SS Ohio which supplied Malta with critical supplies of fuel for its subs and aircraft.

I think we as commonwealth nations are to quick to dismiss the great sacrifice the US did make, and to underestimate the great importance they had to the defeat of the axis powers.

Thanks,Glad my Father/Uncle's could contribute and live to tell about it.

easy-lift guy

I love all this war stuff. ELG what are you're boys like at drill, haven't you got an outfit called the flying rifles or something? I was with this lot for a while, best drill team in the world imo.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n0tFJWq2-Y&feature=related]Queen's Colour Squadron Royal Albert Hall 2004 - YouTube[/ame]

Where were they stationed during the war?

My father was Stationed State side USAAC Ft. Mead, Maryland. He use to fly up and down the coast in a Piper cub looking for German Subs. Two other Uncles were in the Army, briefly stationed along with a few other Americans for D-Day, My Uncle Leo even brought home a bride from the South of London, "she is still alive and speaks American with a British accent". Another uncle was a medic who served with the US forces in Europe, and my last Uncle served with the US Coast guard. Some stories they told when asked, others they kept to them self's.

easy-lift guy

A Sihk was one of the highest awarded fighter pilots of WW2

it is also well documented even by the Germans in both wars

That they were ferocious warriors even without ammo they would

Draw there swords and charge towards the enemy.

Over 2million from that continent volunteered and more of there forces

Where killed than our own..

Then we done them over after the war.. Now that's thanks