Money or business?

luftwaffe

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello I am in the process of starting my business bAck up as well. I learned a lot from reading this thread. I would buy a 1 ton truck, larger trailer, Dingo, more equipment, find some good ground help. Go to school for urban forestry-grants if possible? Take a few vacations throughout the year, and invest in Fed Ex/ Amazon if possible. Have two crews working for me all the time. Make time for my kids and family. Donate to others not so fortunate which is also a tax write off.

I suppose with a fantasy thread it's not suprising that most replies are fantasy <s>..

Fr a real answer i'd make th following points.

If you are young enough and still have energy and enthusiasm then become self employed (if not) and roll your sleeves up for yourself. If already self employed then expamd that business! When I was working I always took the opportunity of a recession to remodel the practice, get down and work hard to keep my fees within Joe Public's pocket (longer hours still) and thus be ready with a good client base and modernisation for the end of tha current blip in economy to make the good money once opportunities came back.

Investment is a glib phrase to use. £100K doesn't give you enough market spread to play safe with and with the fees charged by investment services the risks are just as much there as with pensions..something most of us have fallen foul to.

It was always stated that any investment portfolio should hold about 10% assets in gold. Gold will not grow in size but is the ultimate hedge against a financial meltdown - Yes you can make money by speculating in gold (like any speculation) but that is a secondary feature. Nor will it pay a dividend like shares may.

Buy to let properties only make money if you manage them full-time and hard - and do all the maintenance and repairs etc yourself. the heady days when property prices kept climbing so you made loot out of their increased value will not come back for some time - in fact if the global recssion really bites then rent fixing by governments and falling prices make that a riskier venture.

Equally money in bonds and deposits are earning less interest than inflation right now - it's a volatile and worrying world out there.

I retired last year with a big chunk of money and just keeping that inflation proofed is impossible unless one is prepared to take risks. Not something you want to do with a retirement fund. The only safe investment is in yourself - if you are prepared to graft.

there is an old sci-fi phrase TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

So my advice is - if young then use it to help you work harder and earn more. If past working then in this climate buy gold or land. Gold is just a safe haven..land - well they ain't going to be making more of that so it will always have a value.

I did both <vbg>

I suppose with a fantasy thread it's not suprising that most replies are fantasy <s>..

Fr a real answer i'd make th following points.

If you are young enough and still have energy and enthusiasm then become self employed (if not) and roll your sleeves up for yourself. If already self employed then expamd that business! When I was working I always took the opportunity of a recession to remodel the practice, get down and work hard to keep my fees within Joe Public's pocket (longer hours still) and thus be ready with a good client base and modernisation for the end of tha current blip in economy to make the good money once opportunities came back.

Investment is a glib phrase to use. £100K doesn't give you enough market spread to play safe with and with the fees charged by investment services the risks are just as much there as with pensions..something most of us have fallen foul to.

It was always stated that any investment portfolio should hold about 10% assets in gold. Gold will not grow in size but is the ultimate hedge against a financial meltdown - Yes you can make money by speculating in gold (like any speculation) but that is a secondary feature. Nor will it pay a dividend like shares may.

Buy to let properties only make money if you manage them full-time and hard - and do all the maintenance and repairs etc yourself. the heady days when property prices kept climbing so you made loot out of their increased value will not come back for some time - in fact if the global recssion really bites then rent fixing by governments and falling prices make that a riskier venture.

Equally money in bonds and deposits are earning less interest than inflation right now - it's a volatile and worrying world out there.

I retired last year with a big chunk of money and just keeping that inflation proofed is impossible unless one is prepared to take risks. Not something you want to do with a retirement fund. The only safe investment is in yourself - if you are prepared to graft.

there is an old sci-fi phrase TANSTAAFL - there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

So my advice is - if young then use it to help you work harder and earn more. If past working then in this climate buy gold or land. Gold is just a safe haven..land - well they ain't going to be making more of that so it will always have a value.

I did both <vbg>

Thanks for your answer, The best so far,

i agree on most things you say except gold is safe a haven, in the event of a market sell off., gold will fall alongside other assets, as investors will liquidate all other paper investments to offset other losses elsewhere,

Gold recently has pulled back from $1920 to $1580 during the Eurozone crisis.

As has already been said £100 grand is not a lot if your trying to cushion the rest of your life, if your starting out then it would be great. I still think property is worth a go (speaking from someone who' pensions crashed like a lot of other folks) it is safer than a lot of other get rich schemes.

For me it would be a 1969-70 440 Hemi Dodge Charger or a Winibago, if the Winibago, then rent the house out and then travel.

Failing that 100 grands worth of Eccles cakes and the Beano.

As for living off memories...

I shut my business and before relocating I took time out to realise some dreams.

I cycled across Australia in 2009, starting in Melbourne, along the coast passing vineyards to Adelaide through the grain fields up to Port Augusta before following the Stuart highway to Darwin up in the tropics via Alice Springs, Ayers rock, various Aboriginal settlements, wild camping in the bush with dingos, camels, wild horses, roos, huge lizards 2m long called goannas, white tailed eagles picking flesh of road train kills, vast sky with unfamiliar stars, mad drunk Aboriginals everywhere especially on 'Sit down money Thursday', the feeling of being alone yet unafraid in a strange hard land full of wonder.

I sit here at times with the radio on, close my eyes and just replay it all.

Yes, I can't live off my memories but they are sustaining and on dark days remind me of better times.

"I travelled amongst unknown men in lands beyond the see

Nor England did I know till then what love I bore for thee

Tis not thy melancholy dream nor will I quit thy shore a second time

For I still see to love thee more and more"

I would love to purchase some woodland.....a couple of acres. a place to escape to for a nice chilled out day once in a while. Camp out with mates, have a fire, shoot etc etc.

Plus, get stuck into some coppice work for fun, and keep my firewood stocked up.

I would invest in a new landy tipper.....

So thats roughly £50k gone give or take......

Buy a trailer with built in Hi-ab (to save my back!) £10 - 12K

Buy a tractor (always wanted one - since childhood!)

I would put 20k in the bank

Might be a few quid left over for a cheeky holiday with my girlfriend!