New log merchants

philg

How about some timber & corrugated plastic sheeting for a roof instead. Keep rain & snow off & let sun & wind through. No risk of sweaty mould as with tarp' covered logs.

This summer we got given some used sheets made to cover sugar beet, which we have used to cover some dry cordwood.

They have withstood some serious gales, the fabric is breathable and kept rain and snow out. Will be trying to source some more as they are better than tarps, what is underneath has stayed dry.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be irrelevant but in my business we compete directly with all comers on branded products to a wide audience, online. We sell a LOT on ebay and anyone can get a product data feed from Draper, Silverline, Toolbank or whatever and have 25000 products listed in 24 hours. Most do. Most make a loss and have no idea. Most are gone within a year, having spent that year frantically packing orders at a loss.

The ONLY way to compete is to actually offer a real service. In our case, it's the same product so we can only compete on actual service, after sales back-up etc. and we do this very succesfully. In the case of firewood, the product is perhaps as much or more of the picture than the service.

So offer both. Offer a premium product all the time. When they buy from you, they know what they are going to get. No odd bad loads, just A grade firewood EVERY time. When their delivery arrives they know they can have a roaring fire within half an hour. I think it was Thrust who said about monied people and this is very valid. They have cash, good luck to them. They have a party or nibbles or whatever and they will pay for perfect firewood just like they will pay for a luxury hamper or the best wine. That is their right, be the guy who supplies them. Be open and knowledgable about your product. Know what species you are selling, how they will burn and why you have mixed them in the way you have.

Think of ways you can streamiline the delivery process not just for you but them as well. Is tipping a pile of logs on their drive OK? Would a vented bag craned off be better? Would it pay to pay a teenager to help you stack the wood for them? Whatever. I'm not a log seller so have no real ideas but it's a fact that the principles of sound business are pretty much the same whatever you do.

My main tip would be to not get hung up on price. Yes, you have to sell, I know that but you may be suprised if you are brave enough to have a great product and hold your price.

Dunno, just my thoughts.

This may be irrelevant but in my business we compete directly with all comers on branded products to a wide audience, online. We sell a LOT on ebay and anyone can get a product data feed from Draper, Silverline, Toolbank or whatever and have 25000 products listed in 24 hours. Most do. Most make a loss and have no idea. Most are gone within a year, having spent that year frantically packing orders at a loss.

The ONLY way to compete is to actually offer a real service. In our case, it's the same product so we can only compete on actual service, after sales back-up etc. and we do this very succesfully. In the case of firewood, the product is perhaps as much or more of the picture than the service.

So offer both. Offer a premium product all the time. When they buy from you, they know what they are going to get. No odd bad loads, just A grade firewood EVERY time. When their delivery arrives they know they can have a roaring fire within half an hour. I think it was Thrust who said about monied people and this is very valid. They have cash, good luck to them. They have a party or nibbles or whatever and they will pay for perfect firewood just like they will pay for a luxury hamper or the best wine. That is their right, be the guy who supplies them. Be open and knowledgable about your product. Know what species you are selling, how they will burn and why you have mixed them in the way you have.

Think of ways you can streamiline the delivery process not just for you but them as well. Is tipping a pile of logs on their drive OK? Would a vented bag craned off be better? Would it pay to pay a teenager to help you stack the wood for them? Whatever. I'm not a log seller so have no real ideas but it's a fact that the principles of sound business are pretty much the same whatever you do.

My main tip would be to not get hung up on price. Yes, you have to sell, I know that but you may be suprised if you are brave enough to have a great product and hold your price.

Dunno, just my thoughts.

I like this guy, if you are the same price as others but provide a more caring service, who are they gonna choose?

if you're a fiver dearer who are they gonna choose?

or a tenner?

People will pay a lot more for a little consideration, which you give for free, because you're nice people, it just so happens your logs are a wee bit dearer! :thumbup1:

I'm certainly not the cheapest in my area but certainly the best looking! I spend time with my customers, help them stack and even spare the time to join them for a cup of tea. There always after advice especially when it comes to trees and there gardens. Before you know it, they've paid your asking price and accepted your quote to remove there tree. Rather than squeeze as many deliveries as I can in a day I add a ghost delivery which allows me time to talk and chat. Even after putting my prices up this year I havnt lost a customer. Be nice, be courtious and say I'll be back.

I'm certainly not the cheapest in my area but certainly the best looking! I spend time with my customers, help them stack and even spare the time to join them for a cup of tea. There always after advice especially when it comes to trees and there gardens. Before you know it, they've paid your asking price and accepted your quote to remove there tree. Rather than squeeze as many deliveries as I can in a day I add a ghost delivery which allows me time to talk and chat. Even after putting my prices up this year I havnt lost a customer. Be nice, be courtious and say I'll be back.

HI bear your right mate i do the here spend time with your customer happy new year jon :thumbup:

Oak takes along time

damn straight it does,crikey i split and stacked some in my vented crates 2 years ago and its just about use able.God bless any firewood merchants flogging mainly oak got a long time to wait to see a return on that stock lol

Have sold firewood over 25 years, Have not found a 'steamlined' delivery system that will suit all our customers.

To invest in vented log bags / lorry and crane would mean 50-60% of our customers would not get a delivery due to : access not suitable,(too narrow/steep/unsuitable surface/no driveway etc) tipping not possible on many drop offs: no driveway/steps/ shared access for example, etc. Only tried and tested method we have found that works for 100% customers is the ability to unload and stack or barrow from a pick up, all other methods would exclude the bulk of our customers.

Most 1st time customers have no idea if their drive/access suitable for a truck & trailer or a waggon etc, and to turn up with a waggon and find the access impossible, or no where to drop bags etc would mean undelivered logs, and loss of a customer.

We sell 9 metres a day minimum using a truck and trailer and find it easy, 100% customers can take a delivery of firewood. ('We' are 2 girls that load/deliver and unload logs, and 1 man processing firewood)