New log merchants

philg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sensible I suppose and not borrowing more then I can afford. I'm a new entrant to farming in my own right, maybe youth and sensible ambition stands me well?

Just increased my overdraft by 30% this autumn as cashflow has took a big unexpected hit. Im happy to PM you my bank details and my business manager if your interested.

If I were local to you I would be that bloke. OK, I wouldn't threaten to do your mate over, but if you haven't got the nous to get some signs and adverts out then don't think you can sit on your arse, expecting all orders to come your way because your the local yokel :001_rolleyes:

The bloke was honest, as previously mentioned 'a builders bag of logs' is not a description that will see you prosecuted by trading standards. So to take down his adverts smacks of throwing your toys out of the pram.

If you're not charging £50-60 a builders bag delivered (half cube) then you're what I'd term 'a busy fool' :lol:

Dont want to get into an argument pal but i dont sit on my arse i PAY for advertising through local papers, magazines and have a bloody good website with paypal attached - so dont assume you know me. What you can assume is "the honest bloke " is a complete numpty who tries to do treework in the summer with no qualifications - would you really put up with him in your town - NO! Sorry mate but after doing HND in Arb , Ignite courses and over 25 years experience in forestry and tree surgery i dont really consider myself a yocal either- busy yes (jealous are we) fool - perhaps as ive just wasted time from my life answering your post:thumbdown:

Who are giving out these grants? I'd love to ramp the business up, but can't take the risk of a large loan to do so in this economy. My product is high-quality, delivered on time with a smile to customers with free advice and support. I'd love to help put more well-seasoned firewood into the market, but it'll take significant investment.

If the government are really making grants to such businesses, I'd love to hear about it!

Grants are still available to help the bio mass industry, that is how these new biomass plants have got built and the Chip boilers for schools and hospitals etc. I think it is organised regionally. Around here (NE) you get 40% grants towards anything to help business from a proccesor, training, harvesting/forwarding machines, buildings, a Chip plant, briquet plants, tipping trailer etc. A business plan is needed plus funds for remaining 60% must be in your bank or loan available, plus proof of earnings for next 5 years, past 3 years accounts, proof of contracts etc, H & S policy, Equal Opportunities policy, no sale of items purchased with grant possible for 5 years or grant will money has to be given back etc, they make you jump through hoops!! We got 40% towards a forwading trailer earlier this year, and have had help towards training costs. Northwoods are the people to ask in the N.E, they are very helpful, and may know who to ask in your area.

Dont want to get into an argument pal but i dont sit on my arse i PAY for advertising through local papers, magazines and have a bloody good website with paypal attached - so dont assume you know me. What you can assume is "the honest bloke " is a complete numpty who tries to do treework in the summer with no qualifications - would you really put up with him in your town - NO! Sorry mate but after doing HND in Arb , Ignite courses and over 25 years experience in forestry and tree surgery i dont really consider myself a yocal either- busy yes (jealous are we) fool - perhaps as ive just wasted time from my life answering your post:thumbdown:

If your busy why are you worried about some newcomer???

Grants are still available to help the bio mass industry, that is how these new biomass plants have got built and the Chip boilers for schools and hospitals etc. I think it is organised regionally. Around here (NE) you get 40% grants towards anything to help business from a proccesor, training, harvesting/forwarding machines, buildings, a Chip plant, briquet plants, tipping trailer etc. A business plan is needed plus funds for remaining 60% must be in your bank or loan available, plus proof of earnings for next 5 years, past 3 years accounts, proof of contracts etc, H & S policy, Equal Opportunities policy, no sale of items purchased with grant possible for 5 years or grant will money has to be given back etc, they make you jump through hoops!! We got 40% towards a forwading trailer earlier this year, and have had help towards training costs. Northwoods are the people to ask in the N.E, they are very helpful, and may know who to ask in your area.

Thanks, Steph. Really useful info. I'll go look for my local agency dealing with it...

not entirely true, with a good sensible realistic business plan most banks will listen to you. the past 12 months i have been given a large (for me) over draft facility, a small business loan to help with a vital bit of kit and finance on my tractor and hedge cutter. my bank have been most supportive of my plans and helped me no end.

Only talking from experience wanting to finance a 250kW wind turbine even with guaranteed Fits income most banks refused point blank and the only bank who offered finance wanted asset cover of twice the value of the asset.

You have done very well to get any finance and your the first farmer I have heard actually get an increase in overdraft many farmers around me are in dire straights because overdrafts have been reduced. Fortunately I dont have an overdraft so can hopefully ride out any recession.

What can you do when local companies are selling at between 30-40 quid a builders bag ey? i envy all you charging so much for wood, its worth it but people around here do not want to pay.....

At the risk of sounding patronising (apologies if I do) your best option is to go upmarket. Aim specifically at the quality end of the market, get your product as good as you can (i.e. dry, stacked, delivered bang-on-agreed-time, to the size wanted, with free advice and a smile), and market to those with the money. Educate your customers if need be. Do everything you can to differentiate yourself from Mick-and-his-battered-tranny - compare volume, moisture content, soft/hard, delivery approach - and offer guarantees.

People are tight-up at the mo, and up where you are there are more tight folks than average (sorry, couldn't resist, I'm 'red rose' by origins), but a guarantee gives them peace-of-mind. Don't worry, if you're as good as you say you are, almost no-one will try to claim on it.